Can i recycle this?

  • dreamofgilgamesh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      Dear Group, following my 1st run success with my valved reflux still
      i've now bottled my spirit up. As an experiment i chopped up some
      root ginger and dropped it into a bottle of neutral spirits and left
      it a couple of weeks. I then filtered it out and added a little sugar.

      Yack, i don't like it at all! Rather than throw it out will it be ok
      to add it to my next run, or will the whole lot taste of ginger?

      Many Thanks
    • fit_dude42
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Being a newbie myself i would be interested to know this as i have
        some Ouzo (aniseed) type wine that my father-in-law gave us. I don't
        particularly like it and tried to run it through my new still when i
        first built it.
        I got a distinctly offputting smell and flavour of aniseed.

        Since that time i have run the still twice, once obtaining 80% spirit
        and once (after minor modification) at 92%.

        My thought is that at 80% i would have some flavours coming through
        (which i did), but at 92% i shouldn't (or so little as to be
        negligable).

        So, along the same lines as the original question, would a whole new
        batch be ruined if you try to run a strong flavoured spirit at the
        same time?

        Sorry if this sounds like i'm hijacking the original post but i
        thought it was a similar question.

        Cheers m'dears,
        Karl.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"