Rate of collection equation

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      I need the equation to find out the rate that i can theoretically
      collect distillate from a pot still running no reflux at a certain
      power input. I understand that no still will run without heat loss, so
      the numbers might be off a little. I was just hoping to be able to
      calculat the collection rate for a particular heat input, without
      having to actually make it. Might also help when trying to determine
      the rate of collection for a given reflux ratio.

      -Tyler
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
        wrote:

        > I need the equation to find out the rate that i can theoretically
        > collect distillate from a pot still running no reflux at a certain
        > power input. I understand that no still will run without heat loss,
        so
        > the numbers might be off a little. I was just hoping to be able to
        > calculat the collection rate for a particular heat input, without
        > having to actually make it. Might also help when trying to determine
        > the rate of collection for a given reflux ratio.
        >
        > -Tyler

        Borrowed from Mike Nixon's excellent paper in the Distillers/files
        section...
        20Mike%20Nixon.htm
        ...or TinyURL http://tinyurl.com/y797ow

        <quote>
        The latent heat of vaporisation of both ethanol and water are about
        the same... 40 kJ/gram mole
        (this is just a happy coincidence ... other substances have different
        LHVs, so please don't generalize)
        So 1 kW vaporises 60/40 = 1.5 gram moles of either ethanol or water,
        or any mix of them, every minute.

        1 gram mole ethanol = 46gram
        1 gram mole water = 18 gram
        So 1 kW vaporises 1.5 x 46 gram ethanol or 1.5 x 18 gram water every
        minute.
        1 gram mole of any vapor occupies 22.4 liters at STP (standard temp
        and pressure)

        Vapor expands when heated, and at around 90 deg C 1 gram mole of any
        vapor occupies 30 liters.
        So 1 kW, which vaporises 1.5 gram mole of either ethanol or water each
        minute gives 1.5 x 30 = 45 liters vapor/minute ie. 45/60 liters/second

        But 1 liter = 61.024 cubic inches, so 1 kW will give 61.024 x 45/60
        cubic inches of ethanol or water vapor each second, = 45.77 cubic
        inches/second

        </quote>

        Does the brain still hurt, Tyler? :-)

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          I knew that!!!!! :) blanikdog

          > I need the equation to find out the rate that i can theoretically
          > collect distillate from a pot still running no reflux at a certain
          > power input. I understand that no still will run without heat loss,
          so
          > the numbers might be off a little. I was just hoping to be able to
          > calculat the collection rate for a particular heat input, without
          > having to actually make it. Might also help when trying to determine
          > the rate of collection for a given reflux ratio.
          >
          > -Tyler

          Borrowed from Mike Nixon's excellent paper in the Distillers/files
          section...
          20Mike%20Nixon.htm
          ...or TinyURL http://tinyurl.com/y797ow

          <quote>
          The latent heat of vaporisation of both ethanol and water are about
          the same... 40 kJ/gram mole
          (this is just a happy coincidence ... other substances have different
          LHVs, so please don't generalize)
          So 1 kW vaporises 60/40 = 1.5 gram moles of either ethanol or water,
          or any mix of them, every minute.

          1 gram mole ethanol = 46gram
          1 gram mole water = 18 gram
          So 1 kW vaporises 1.5 x 46 gram ethanol or 1.5 x 18 gram water every
          minute.
          1 gram mole of any vapor occupies 22.4 liters at STP (standard temp
          and pressure)

          Vapor expands when heated, and at around 90 deg C 1 gram mole of any
          vapor occupies 30 liters.
          So 1 kW, which vaporises 1.5 gram mole of either ethanol or water each
          minute gives 1.5 x 30 = 45 liters vapor/minute ie. 45/60 liters/second

          But 1 liter = 61.024 cubic inches, so 1 kW will give 61.024 x 45/60
          cubic inches of ethanol or water vapor each second, = 45.77 cubic
          inches/second

          </quote>

          Does the brain still hurt, Tyler? :-)

          NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

          My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          #american-pie on Starchat

        • tyler_97355
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
            Damn you Harry! I had to break out the headache pills on that one!
            lol. Ok, well i think you helped explain to me about why the
            collection rate slows down on my pot still when the tail start to come
            through. If 1 kW vaporises 1.5 x 46 gram ethanol or 1.5 x 18 gram
            water every minute, that is quite a noticeable difference, and a good
            way to tell when your tails are coming. However, i'm still trying to
            wrap my head around those equations. You spit all that out just to see
            how fast my head would spin, didn't you? As far as calculations go,
            1.5 x 46 = 69grams = 2.43oz, now this is by weight. Does 16 fluid oz
            weigh 1 pound? Depends on what the fluid is. Anyway, it would come
            out to 71.97 ml. Does that sound about right? If so, does that mean
            that 2kw would be 3 x 46 = 138?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
              wrote:

              > Damn you Harry! I had to break out the headache pills on that one!
              > lol. Ok, well i think you helped explain to me about why the
              > collection rate slows down on my pot still when the tail start to
              come
              > through. If 1 kW vaporises 1.5 x 46 gram ethanol or 1.5 x 18 gram
              > water every minute, that is quite a noticeable difference, and a
              good
              > way to tell when your tails are coming. However, i'm still trying
              > wrap my head around those equations. You spit all that out just to
              see
              > how fast my head would spin, didn't you? As far as calculations go,
              > 1.5 x 46 = 69grams = 2.43oz, now this is by weight. Does 16 fluid
              oz
              > weigh 1 pound? Depends on what the fluid is. Anyway, it would come
              > out to 71.97 ml. Does that sound about right? If so, does that mean
              > that 2kw would be 3 x 46 = 138?
              >
              > -Tyler

              Sore head or no, methinks you're beginning to understand it. :-)

            • tyler_97355
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2006
                Using the equation "1.5 x 46 = 69grams = 2.43oz = 71.97ml" to estemate
                the amount of distillate produced per hour in a still that
                theoretically has no heat loss, I am going to attemp to do some
                thinking out loud.

                If i made a 50 gallon (189.26ltr) wash at 14% ethenol, and ran it
                through a stripping run to collect 62.9ltr of 40% ethenol, i need to
                find out how long it would take.

                If i am using a 3kw electric heated boiler with a non-packed stripping
                column, suing the equation above, (1kw = 71.97ml per min.) x 3 = (3kw
                = 215.91ml per min.), i assume that i sould use the equation: "62.9 /
                .21591", which would give me 291.3 minutes = 4.855 hours.

                So if my messed up calculations are correct, i can strip a 50 gallon
                wash from 14% to 40% in 4.855 hours at 3kw heat input.

                Did i do that right?

                If that is right, then a 4.8kw heater should distill it at 345.456ml
                per min, and get it done in 3 hours.

                I guess at this point i need to run my still at that heat input, and
                measure the collection rate. When i compare that to my calculations,
                it sould let me know how much heat loss my still has.

                I was thinking, If i am using a non packed, non refluxing column, i
                shouldn't really have to worry about the column "choking", right? It
                seems to me that i just need to make sure that i can effectively slow
                down and cool the vapors coming into the condenser so i don't have
                steam coming out.

                Well now that i gave myself a headache, could someone tell me if i am
                right on any of this, or do i need to go back to middle school?

                -Tyler