Re: Advantage of tall column

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
      wrote:

      > ok, so a 2" column "flooding" around 3kw is like my 1/2"
      > liebig "choking" at 1.5kw when i tried to us it as a verticle
      reflux
      > condenser, right? Too much liquid being condensed and staying in
      the
      > packing, which would impeed the vapor flow, and preasurize the
      still,
      > if i understand correctly. Which brings up another question. If
      your
      > info is correct, that a 2" column will flood if given a heat input
      > over 2-3kw, why is it that the PDA-2 will handle a max power input
      of
      > 5.5kw? If i remember correctly, it is constucted with 2" pipe.

      ...........It's not 2" pipe. I can't remember which it is, either
      it's 3" or 4", but definitely not 2".

      > Once again, to make sure that i get the entirely clear definition
      of
      > HETP, the HETP is the height of packing that it takes to equal one
      > theoretical plate for the given tamperature, for that type of
      > packing?

      .............AND that particular heat input.

      So, lets say, if the HETP for my still and its packing was 8
      > inches for each plate, if i increased my heat input, it might
      require
      > 12 inches for each plate.

      .......Yes.

      I know that the measurements are not
      > correct, i am just wondering if i have the general idea down.

      ..Yes.

      > I do wonder, how does one aquire this knowledge? Does it take
      years
      > of engineering school,

      ......The discipline is known as "Chemical Engineering" ChE for
      short.

      or is it just a matter of knowing the right
      > equations?

      ........ You can be 'self-taught' if you have a capacity to learn.
      The information is available in any library and in many places on
      the internet. I am self taught when it comes to physics,
      electrical, mechanical & chemical engineering. My degrees are in
      computing and Information Technology. But that doesn't stop me from
      acquiring the knowledge I need to assist me in my chosen hobby.
      Bottom line is, if you have a desire to learn, and a capable brain,
      then the sky's the limit. Age is no barrier.

      Side note for Riku: There are formulae for working out HETP.
      They're called McCabe-Theile Diagrams, phase diagrams, and for the
      lazy ones, computer simulations such as HYSIS . But you need to get
      a lot more theory & prac under your belt (distillation-wise) before
      you tackle that level. The 'net is your fingertip library. ;-)

      I'm sorry if i am really slow with catching on to some of
      > the theory here, but thats why i'm in the "new distillers" forum,
      and
      > i really appreciate all of your help.

      .......Look on Tony's homedistiller.org homesite (homepage of this
      group). That will give you a jump-start to the theory.

      Someday, i want you all to be
      > able to look back at me and say, "my god, what have we done!"
      >
      > -Tyler

    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > ok, so a 2" column "flooding" around 3kw is like my 1/2"
        > liebig "choking" at 1.5kw when i tried to us it as a verticle reflux

        snip

        > I do wonder, how does one aquire this knowledge? >
        snip
        > -Tyler

        Hi, tyler,
        One of the best ways of learning is to ask the right questions of the
        right people.

        This is really interesting stuff, and thanks to you and the people who
        have replied to your questions we are getting a different perspective
        on theory and that's really good, too.
        Thanks

        The Baker