Glass Jugs & Bottles | update on my project

  • jared
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
      Whilst doing some additions to a house my sis' and bro-in-law recently
      bought, a whole stash of glass jugs was discovered under the porch. These
      were immediately confiscated by me & amount to about 12 1-gallon and about 8
      1/2 gallon glass jugs.

      A couple of the 1/2 gallon jugs were old javex bottles, and the ones where
      the labels hadn't rubbed off were saved for use as antiques. Oddly, the
      glass is dark brown.

      1) For cleaning - what's the best way to clean these? as well as their
      plastic caps?
      2) Storing spirits - I plan on cutting most spirit down to the 40-50% range,
      but plan on storing some at full strength to use when needed. Will the
      plastic caps be OK?

      As for my project, I picked up a lot of stuff this week--all the material
      for the condenser & the lines, plus the needle valve and fittings for
      collecting the spirit. I just need to have the stainless column built, the
      design of which I am still thrashing about in my mind.

      What I am thinking about for the column, and I still have to find out if
      it's feasible, is to have 1' or 1.5' lengths of stainless pipe with a male
      thread at one end, and a female at the other. This way you can dismantle the
      column... makes storage, and moving easier. And, hopefully, all will fit
      neatly inside the keg, so you have a storage container as well. I know this
      will mean having pipe that is fairly thick-walled, but if it's easily taken
      apart, I think it's work very well.

      Thanks for all the help & ideas,

      jared

    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
        Hello jared,
        I will address the jug-cleaning part and leave the distillation related to
        others more knowledgeable. In my prior life as a biochemist/biologist I handled
        mny jugs like yours. Javex is a great cleanser. One trick I learned from my
        mother is that to clean the inside of jugs, shred some paper into 1" sq. bits
        and shake those with cleansing water inside the jugs. It does work. If not,
        put in some very fine gravel. Javex, and lots of rinsing.
        As for the caps, take out the little liners. And cut out new liners from some
        teflon or thin plastic.
        John V

        jared wrote:

        > Whilst doing some additions to a house my sis' and bro-in-law recently
        > bought, a whole stash of glass jugs was discovered under the porch. These
        > were immediately confiscated by me & amount to about 12 1-gallon and about 8
        > 1/2 gallon glass jugs.
        >
        > A couple of the 1/2 gallon jugs were old javex bottles, and the ones where
        > the labels hadn't rubbed off were saved for use as antiques. Oddly, the
        > glass is dark brown.
        >
        > 1) For cleaning - what's the best way to clean these? as well as their
        > plastic caps?
        > 2) Storing spirits - I plan on cutting most spirit down to the 40-50% range,
        > but plan on storing some at full strength to use when needed. Will the
        > plastic caps be OK?
        >
        > As for my project, I picked up a lot of stuff this week--all the material
        > for the condenser & the lines, plus the needle valve and fittings for
        > collecting the spirit. I just need to have the stainless column built, the
        > design of which I am still thrashing about in my mind.
        >
        > What I am thinking about for the column, and I still have to find out if
        > it's feasible, is to have 1' or 1.5' lengths of stainless pipe with a male
        > thread at one end, and a female at the other. This way you can dismantle the
        > column... makes storage, and moving easier. And, hopefully, all will fit
        > neatly inside the keg, so you have a storage container as well. I know this
        > will mean having pipe that is fairly thick-walled, but if it's easily taken
        > apart, I think it's work very well.
        >
        > Thanks for all the help & ideas,
        >
        > jared

      • jared
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
          thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2002
            << . . . a whole stash of glass jugs . . . amount to about 12 1-gallon and
            about 8
            1/2 gallon glass jugs . . . For cleaning - what's the best way to clean
            these? as well as their
            plastic caps? >>

            Fist I will tell you that I do not have any advise for the plastic caps. But
            I can give you some advise for cleaning the bottles and jugs.

            What do when I come across old bottles is to take a length of galvanized
            chain -- smaller than the diameter of the bottle opening, and longer then
            the height of the bottle -- and attach to the fishing line, which in turn
            is attached to a spare cork.

            I used to mix a solution of baking soda and water, but now I use a product
            available in the States known a Oxiclean
            (http://www.oxiclean.com/ABOUT.HTML) and water. I pour this into the bottle
            and drop the chain in the bottle as well. I place my hand over the bottle
            opening to prevent the cleaning solution from coming out and to keep the
            fishing line in place (the cork is out side of the bottle -- the cork is for
            easy removal of the chain/fishing line). I then shake, swish, and swirl the
            bottle making sure to get every inside surface as best as I can. Then I
            remove the chain/fishing line, and pour out the cleaning solution. I then
            sterilize the bottle with a bleach/water solution, and store upside down
            until I need it.

            I have found that my chain method works better -- for me -- than the gravel
            method that is sometimes recommended. If the bottle is still dirty after
            cleaning in this fashion, your best bet is to not use the bottle, as nothing
            will -- to my knowledge -- effectively clean the bottle.

            Your Brother in Magick,
            Rev. David M. Cunningham
            email@...

            NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
            intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
            which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
            otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
            transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
            forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
            telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
          • Gordon Hayes
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2002
              I guess it all depends on what kind of bottles you are using. If you are
              trying to clean then I recommend high pressure steam - the best source of
              this is an old expresso machine. Generally the milk frother can be upturned
              and the coffee section shut off. Second hand shops carry this sort of thing
              for about $25. The down side is the bottles get very hot, and can be
              weakened by the high temp, or so I am led to believe. You also can only do
              about a dozen bottles at a time, before the water resovior needs refilling.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2002
                << I guess it all depends on what kind of bottles you are using. If you are
                trying to clean then I recommend high pressure steam - the best source of
                this is an old expresso machine . . . >>

                When I posted my method, I posted it with the assumption that some of these
                bottles may have old crud, dirt, and/or the like in them. I only use that
                method if I have to clean jugs and bottles that have stubborn residue in
                them.

                For normal bottles and small jugs that need regular cleaning, I just use the
                dishwasher. What I do is invert the bottles and jugs so that their openings
                are toward the bottom of the dishwasher.

                In my dishwasher (and I assume most have this) there are two places that you
                can place dishwasher detergent -- one regular "cup" that holds the detergent
                for regular loads, and a smaller cup to hold extra detergent for dirty
                loads. In my dishwasher The smaller cup empties first and then later in the
                cycle the regular "cup" is used.

                Instead of using dishwasher detergent, I fill the smaller cup up with
                Oxiclean (www.oxiclean.com), and I leave the regular load "cup" empty (If
                you don't have Oxiclean, just leave everything empty and run the load with
                just water). So, what happens is when the load starts the small cup empties
                the Oxiclean into the wash and gives them a hot bath with Oxiclean. Then the
                regular cycle kicks in -- without detergent or Oxiclean -- and rinses the
                bottles with clean HOT water.

                My wife's father turned me on to this cleaning method one day when we were
                getting ready to bottle some wine of his. Once he showed me, I was hooked.

                Your Brother in Magick,
                Rev. David M. Cunningham
                email@...

                NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
                intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
                which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
                otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
                transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
                forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
                telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
              • TNichelson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2002
                  Just want to say thanks to the group for all the great
                  information. My question concerns increasing
                  production. We are running a SS 20 L boiler with a 2"
                  copper reflux (1.25) meter and packed with SS
                  scrubbers. We have perfected our technique with the
                  present setup and we get wonderful product (turbo 8
                  wash - great stuff); however, it takes about three
                  hours to collect three quarts of 95%. We don't have a
                  lot of time to run batches so we wanted to make the
                  time that we put into it most rewarding. Would it be
                  better to run 2 or 3 quick runs and combine them and
                  run a slow final batch? The quick runs could be
                  through a pot still or pushed hard through our reflux
                  still without the reflux cooling. Or, would it be
                  more beneficial to increase our boiler size to 40 or
                  60 L and run one good batch? Any ideas would be
                  appreciated. Thanks.

                  Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                  http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                • Tony & Elle Ackland
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2002
                    I'd sugest to do the stripping runs - eg run them first through the column
                    really fast (offtake fully open), to knock them up to 40-50%. Then combine
                    these to do a regular purity run. When redistilling, I don't water the
                    distillate down (as some people advise), but use it as it was last
                    recieved. I figure I'm there to remove the water - not add it back in.

                    You'll find that the purity run will go quite fast - both to heat up and
                    distill off.

                    Is there someway you can remove your condensing head from the packed
                    column, and substitute a short, empty pipe/column in its place ? (eg turn
                    it into a potstill). I do this for my stripping runs.

                    Tony
                    http://homedistiller.org