At Last! My First Run.n

  • dreamofgilgamesh
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
      Dear Group, my first ever run. I've made several posts before asking
      all sorts of questions and today was the day to try it out.

      My still is is basically the design from The Home Distiller, about 3ft
      tall with a Nixon-Stone head.

      The last post i made was to say that the turbo yeast wash i made
      hadn't finished completely, it finished at 1.010 so i wasn't sure if
      it would be ok, anyways, i gave it a go.

      I turned the 25ltr boiler on full power at 11.15 and by 12.00 the
      temperature was 80 as i turned the controller down to about half
      power. I let it set for half an hour and the temp dropped slightly to
      78.3.
      I wondered if the thermometer was positioned right cos i thought the
      temp should be lower than that, or was that due to some residual sugars?

      Anyways, took off 75ml slowly, and the smell reminded me of nail
      varnish, then opened the valve a bit faster at 1.00 clock.. The temp
      went up to 79 and there it stayed until 4.00.

      I saved the first 500ml as heads then i started collecting. Should
      the distilate smell of anything? It was crystal clear and just smelt
      of very strong Vodka!

      I collected 2.3 ltrs until 4.00, that makes 3 hours of collecting then
      the temp started to climb to quite a bit so i started collecting tails
      until about 92/93 then i packed up. I collected 500ml of combined
      heads and tails.

      I just tested it with my alcometer and according to that it was 93%!!

      For a 1st attempt i feel quite chuffed to tell the truth.
      In fact the whole thing was a cross between Chemistry, Alchemy and
      Magic lol, and i owe it all in great part to you chaps.

      I have seen so far by standing on the shoulders of giants to
      paraphrase someone or other!

      So, how would you rate my first attempt?

      Best Wishes
    • john Davies
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
        Congratulations mate a bloody good effort. I am perhaps 3/4 weeks
        from my first run, hope it goes as well as yours.
        Carefull of that 93% Regards trublu

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
          <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

          > Dear Group, my first ever run. >
          > I just tested it with my alcometer and according to that it was 93%!!
          >
          > For a 1st attempt i feel quite chuffed to tell the truth.
          > In fact the whole thing was a cross between Chemistry, Alchemy and
          > Magic lol, and i owe it all in great part to you chaps.
          >
          > I have seen so far by standing on the shoulders of giants to
          > paraphrase someone or other!
          >
          > So, how would you rate my first attempt?
          >
          > Best Wishes

          Hi D.O.G.
          I'd rate it up there with the best! If you achieve >90% at the first
          try, you've definitely done everything right. Many would love to be
          in that league. Congrats!

        • dreamofgilgamesh
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2006
            > Hi D.O.G.
            > I'd rate it up there with the best! If you achieve >90% at the first
            > try, you've definitely done everything right. Many would love to be
            > in that league. Congrats!
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Thanks Harry, praise indeed. Yes it's great when a plan comes
            together aint it hahaha. Now for the next mash, and the next, and
            next,,,,,,,,,,
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2006
              Gildamesh,

              Good for you!
              That dream of Gildamesh just might come true.
              Remember, practice makes perfect. So, practice
              practice practice. (and drink in moderation... if you
              can contain youself)

              Congrats!

              Link

              wrote:

              > Dear Group, my first ever run. I've made several
              > posts before asking
              > all sorts of questions and today was the day to try
              > it out.
              >
              > My still is is basically the design from The Home
              > Distiller, about 3ft
              > tall with a Nixon-Stone head.
              >
              > The last post i made was to say that the turbo yeast
              > wash i made
              > hadn't finished completely, it finished at 1.010 so
              > i wasn't sure if
              > it would be ok, anyways, i gave it a go.
              >
              > I turned the 25ltr boiler on full power at 11.15 and
              > by 12.00 the
              > temperature was 80 as i turned the controller down
              > to about half
              > power. I let it set for half an hour and the temp
              > dropped slightly to
              > 78.3.
              > I wondered if the thermometer was positioned right
              > cos i thought the
              > temp should be lower than that, or was that due to
              > some residual sugars?
              >
              > Anyways, took off 75ml slowly, and the smell
              > reminded me of nail
              > varnish, then opened the valve a bit faster at 1.00
              > clock.. The temp
              > went up to 79 and there it stayed until 4.00.
              >
              > I saved the first 500ml as heads then i started
              > collecting. Should
              > the distilate smell of anything? It was crystal
              > clear and just smelt
              > of very strong Vodka!
              >
              > I collected 2.3 ltrs until 4.00, that makes 3 hours
              > of collecting then
              > the temp started to climb to quite a bit so i
              > started collecting tails
              > until about 92/93 then i packed up. I collected
              > 500ml of combined
              > heads and tails.
              >
              > I just tested it with my alcometer and according to
              > that it was 93%!!
              >
              > For a 1st attempt i feel quite chuffed to tell the
              > truth.
              > In fact the whole thing was a cross between
              > Chemistry, Alchemy and
              > Magic lol, and i owe it all in great part to you
              > chaps.
              >
              > I have seen so far by standing on the shoulders of
              > giants to
              > paraphrase someone or other!
              >
              > So, how would you rate my first attempt?
              >
              > Best Wishes

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2006
                well done DOG!
                how did it go with SWMBO?
                And don't forget to dilute before drinking (distilled water, or
                juices).
                cheers,
                rob.

                --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
                > <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Group, my first ever run. >
                > > I just tested it with my alcometer and according to that it was
                > 93%!!
                > >
                > > For a 1st attempt i feel quite chuffed to tell the truth.
                > > In fact the whole thing was a cross between Chemistry, Alchemy and
                > > Magic lol, and i owe it all in great part to you chaps.
                > >
                > > I have seen so far by standing on the shoulders of giants to
                > > paraphrase someone or other!
                > >
                > > So, how would you rate my first attempt?
                > >
                > > Best Wishes
                > >

                > Hi D.O.G.
                > I'd rate it up there with the best! If you achieve >90% at the first
                >
                > try, you've definitely done everything right. Many would love to be
                > in that league. Congrats!
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dreamofgilgamesh
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2006
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas offered these words

                  > how did it go with SWMBO?
                  > And don't forget to dilute before drinking (distilled water, or
                  > juices).

                  How did it go? She was in the dark hahaha. Oh by the way, you said
                  about diluting with distilled water. Is bottled water or tap water
                  not good enough?

                  Cheers Rob
                • Jan Wouter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2006
                    2006/10/9, dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...>:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas offered these words
                    >

                    > How did it go? She was in the dark hahaha. Oh by the way, you said
                    > about diluting with distilled water. Is bottled water or tap water
                    > not good enough?
                    >
                    > Cheers Rob

                    Pretty good results! congratulations.
                    If you can use tap water depends on where you live. When there is not to
                    much iron and calcium in the water tap water is just fine.
                    Jan Wouter

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2006
                      It depends on the TDS of your water: particularly if it is hard water,
                      you may get a powdery haze. It does settle, and can be filtered out,
                      but it's annoying.
                      cheers,
                      Rob.

                      --- dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas offered these
                      > words
                      >
                      > > how did it go with SWMBO?
                      > > And don't forget to dilute before drinking (distilled water, or
                      > > juices).
                      >
                      > How did it go? She was in the dark hahaha. Oh by the way, you said
                      > about diluting with distilled water. Is bottled water or tap water
                      > not good enough?
                      >
                      > Cheers Rob

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.