Re: Turbo Yeast Question?

  • stevolate
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi Michael
      What water did you use?
      Did you aerate it?

      Happy drinking

      Stevo

      > Hay there, well my first time with making a sugar wash. I bought some
      > 8kg turbo yeast and did it exactly like the package says. I am keeping
      > it at 22 degrees. It has been 36 hours or so and I can see no
      > activity. The wash looks opaque and smells yeasty but I see no bubbles
      > or anything. Is this normal? My yeast was not expired or anything. I
      > pitched it at 25 degrees. Any comments?

    • michael_fearn
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
        I recently moved and at this new house there is well water. It is
        filtered and goes through a UV light but there is no chemical
        treatment that i know of. It is slightly hard but i thought that would
        be ok.

        No, i did not areate it, i know better too. I followed the package
        directions to the letter. It said to stir the wash for 30 seconds
        before and 60 seconds after pitching the yeast at a temp of less than
        30 Deg C. I have never used turbo yeast before and i have only brewed
        beer. I don't know. Maybe it is just slow getting going?

        Cheers,
        Michael

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
          Here are the exact directions i followed.

          "nstructions for 25 liters
          Pour 8 kg (18 lbs) sugar into 8 liters (2 UK gallons, 9 US quarts) hot
          water, keep stirring until you are sure all the sugar has completely
          dissolved. Top up to 25 liters (5,5 UK gallons, 26,5 US quarts) with
          cold water then stir for 30 seconds. Make sure the temperature is
          below 25°C (86°F) then add the sachet of yeast. Stir for 1 minute.For
          maximum alcohol and best quality- Ferment for 10-14 days at between
          19-23°C (66-73°F) air temperature.
          For maximum speed - Ferment for 5 days at between 24-27°C (75-80°F).
          Yeast will die above 27°C (80°F) air temperature. Effective for 12
          extra months if kept in refrigerator. NEVER make more then 25 litres
          in one batch.Ingredients: active dried yeast, yeast nutrients, trace
          vitamins and minerals. 115g."

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
            Hi Michael
            There are normally 2 reasons if your water is fine and you are using
            turbo yeast for a mash not working.

            1/ You used boiled water or distilled water, this can be fixed by
            aerating for a couple of hours prior to adding the yeast.
            2/ Adding the yeast to water that is to hot and killing the yeast.

            Those not being your problem the water quality may need to be checked.
            You could put an aquarium aerator in the mash for 30 minutes and see
            if it starts.

            Happy drinking

            Stevo

            > I recently moved and at this new house there is well water. It is
            > filtered and goes through a UV light but there is no chemical
            > treatment that i know of. It is slightly hard but i thought that would
            > be ok.
            >
            > No, i did not areate it, i know better too. I followed the package
            > directions to the letter. It said to stir the wash for 30 seconds
            > before and 60 seconds after pitching the yeast at a temp of less than
            > 30 Deg C. I have never used turbo yeast before and i have only brewed
            > beer. I don't know. Maybe it is just slow getting going?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Michael
          • michael_fearn
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2006
              Thanks for that Stevo, i will give that a go. I happen to have an
              aquarium pump somewhere.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...> wrote:

              > Hi Michael
              > There are normally 2 reasons if your water is fine and you are using
              > turbo yeast for a mash not working.
              >
              > 1/ You used boiled water or distilled water, this can be fixed by
              > aerating for a couple of hours prior to adding the yeast.
              > 2/ Adding the yeast to water that is to hot and killing the yeast.
              >
              > Those not being your problem the water quality may need to be checked.
              > You could put an aquarium aerator in the mash for 30 minutes and see
              > if it starts.
              >
              > Happy drinking
              >
              > Stevo
              >

              > > I recently moved and at this new house there is well water. It is
              > > filtered and goes through a UV light but there is no chemical
              > > treatment that i know of. It is slightly hard but i thought that would
              > > be ok.
              > >
              > > No, i did not areate it, i know better too. I followed the package
              > > directions to the letter. It said to stir the wash for 30 seconds
              > > before and 60 seconds after pitching the yeast at a temp of less than
              > > 30 Deg C. I have never used turbo yeast before and i have only brewed
              > > beer. I don't know. Maybe it is just slow getting going?
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Michael

            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                Did you run a Sp Gr before? Check it now to see
                what's what.

                Link

                --- michael_fearn <michael_fearn@...> wrote:

                > Well, it could be tighter but it is not bad. It is
                > just the plastic
                > trash can type of fermenter. Maybe I will run a bead
                > of tape along the
                > seam.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent"
                > <kegscruiser@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is the lid on your fermenter tight?
                > >
                > > On 10/4/06, michael_fearn <michael_fearn@...>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hay there, well my first time with making a
                > sugar wash. I bought
                > some
                > > > 8kg turbo yeast and did it exactly like the
                > package says. I am keeping
                > > > it at 22 degrees. It has been 36 hours or so and
                > I can see no
                > > > activity. The wash looks opaque and smells
                > yeasty but I see no bubbles
                > > > or anything. Is this normal? My yeast was not
                > expired or anything. I
                > > > pitched it at 25 degrees. Any comments?

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • michael_fearn
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
                  I did do an SG before. However i got mad an hour ago and dumped it. I
                  am going to try again with some different water. I will try aeration
                  for a bit too. Thanks for the comments though, if it happens again i
                  will test the SG.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

                  > Did you run a Sp Gr before? Check it now to see
                  > what's what.
                  >
                  > Link
                  >
                  > --- michael_fearn <michael_fearn@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Well, it could be tighter but it is not bad. It is
                  > > just the plastic
                  > > trash can type of fermenter. Maybe I will run a bead
                  > > of tape along the
                  > > seam.
                  > >

                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent"
                  > > <kegscruiser@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is the lid on your fermenter tight?

                  > > sugar wash. I bought
                  > > some
                  > > package says. I am keeping
                  > > I can see no
                  > > yeasty but I see no bubbles
                  > > expired or anything. I

                  > > removed]

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • michael_fearn
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                    The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                    water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                    days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                    was happening.

                    So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                    Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                    well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.

                    Thanks for the input.
                    Cheers,
                    Michael

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"
                    <michael_fearn@...> wrote:

                    > I did do an SG before. However i got mad an hour ago and dumped it. I
                    > am going to try again with some different water. I will try aeration
                    > for a bit too. Thanks for the comments though, if it happens again i
                    > will test the SG.
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Did you run a Sp Gr before? Check it now to see
                    > > what's what.
                    > >
                    > > Link
                    > >
                    > > --- michael_fearn <michael_fearn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Well, it could be tighter but it is not bad. It is
                    > > > just the plastic
                    > > > trash can type of fermenter. Maybe I will run a bead
                    > > > of tape along the
                    > > > seam.
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent"

                    > > > sugar wash. I bought
                    > > > some
                    > > > package says. I am keeping
                    > > > I can see no
                    > > > yeasty but I see no bubbles
                    > > > expired or anything. I

                    > > > removed]

                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • stevolate
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                      Hi Michael
                      If the packets got hot at any stage this kills the yeast.
                      Either with you or before you received them.
                      Happy drinking

                      Stevo

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                        <michael_fearn@...> wrote:

                        > The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                        > water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                        > days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                        > was happening.
                        >
                        > So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                        > Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                        > well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.
                        >
                        > Thanks for the input.
                        > Cheers,
                        > Michael

                        If you still have the empty packets, there's a batch number on them.
                        Record it, then take up your case with both the supplier and the
                        manufacturer. They keep records of shipment dates delivery dates
                        etc. At the least I would think they'll replace the items with a
                        different batch. One particular English maker is very conscientious
                        at public relations.

                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                          My supplier always has his yeasts in the refrigerator where others leave
                          them on the shelf. I�ve yet to try my turbo yeasts (refrigerated) but I know
                          the Lavlin on the shelf has never failed.

                          Rick

                          _____

                          > The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                          > water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                          > days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                          > was happening.
                          >
                          > So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                          > Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                          > well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the input.
                          > Cheers,
                          > Michael

                          If you still have the empty packets, there's a batch number on them.
                          Record it, then take up your case with both the supplier and the
                          manufacturer. They keep records of shipment dates delivery dates
                          etc. At the least I would think they'll replace the items with a
                          different batch. One particular English maker is very conscientious
                          at public relations.

                        • donald holcombe

                            > The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                            > water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                            > days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                            > was happening.
                            >
                            > So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                            > Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                            > well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the input.
                            > Cheers,
                            > Michael

                            If you still have the empty packets, there's a batch number on them.
                            Record it, then take up your case with both the supplier and the
                            manufacturer. They keep records of shipment dates delivery dates
                            etc. At the least I would think they'll replace the items with a
                            different batch. One particular English maker is very conscientious
                            at public relations.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • michael_fearn
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                              Hi Stevo,
                              I took them right from the box they were shipped in and used them.
                              Maybe it happened before i got them? Maybe Canada Post is just having
                              fun with me and they microwaved everything before i got it. LOL
                              Thanks,
                              Michael

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Michael
                              > If the packets got hot at any stage this kills the yeast.
                              > Either with you or before you received them.
                              > Happy drinking
                              >
                              > Stevo
                              >
                              > > The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                              > > water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                              > > days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                              > > was happening.
                              > >
                              > > So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                              > > Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                              > > well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for the input.
                              > > Cheers,
                              > > Michael

                            • michael_fearn
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                Hi Harry,
                                I forgot to write the info down and i tossed all of the packaging.
                                Silly silly me. I did contact the supplier and he sounds very willing
                                to replace them. Damn good of him i thought, as i could have screwed
                                it up myself. Very good experience with the supplier here. He got back
                                to me right away with my questions.
                                Cheers,
                                Michael

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"
                                > <michael_fearn@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > The second package of yeast also did not work. Not a peep. Filtered
                                > > water, 29Deg C, aeration for 24 hours. Nothing. I waited for a few
                                > > days and then decided it was dead. It had all settled out and nothing
                                > > was happening.
                                > >
                                > > So it turns out that my turbo yeast was in fact, bad. I pitched some
                                > > Lavlin EC-1118 in the very same wash and now it is working fine. Oh
                                > > well. Live and learn. Must have been a bad lot of Turbo 8kg.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for the input.
                                > > Cheers,
                                > > Michael
                                >

                                > If you still have the empty packets, there's a batch number on them.
                                > Record it, then take up your case with both the supplier and the
                                > manufacturer. They keep records of shipment dates delivery dates
                                > etc. At the least I would think they'll replace the items with a
                                > different batch. One particular English maker is very conscientious
                                > at public relations.
                                >
                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                              • michael_fearn
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                  Hi Rick, the turbo i had was a powder, but it was quite fused into a
                                  solid mass. I am told that this is not how it was supposed to be. It
                                  took quite a bit of stirring to break the mass up. It had 8 months
                                  till expiry. It must have gotten too hot as Harry said, or perhaps
                                  there was just a flaw in packaging?? I don't know. The EC-1118 is
                                  bubbling away merrily at the moment anyways. This is sooo cool! Just
                                  like when i was given a chemistry set as a kid!
                                  Cheers,
                                  Michael

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                  <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                                  > Is turbo yeast liquid or powder ? All my white labs yeast is liquid
                                  and I have been told to keep it and powder yeast in the frig. Some for
                                  a year is still OK.

                                  > Rick <yahoogroupmail@...> wrote: My supplier always has his yeasts
                                  in the refrigerator where others leave
                                  > them on the shelf. I've yet to try my turbo yeasts (refrigerated)
                                  but I know
                                  > the Lavlin on the shelf has never failed.
                                  >

                                  > Rick
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  10/7/2006

                                  > --

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • kirtgk
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                    i also had a similar problem with some of my yeast!! harry told me the
                                    same thing. check exp. date and batch number then take it up with
                                    supplier. mine wasnt totaly dead but a lot less vigorous than previous
                                    packs. i took the loss and now purchase from elese where. by was this
                                    a alcotec brand??

                                    harry should we all get together (if more than just the 2 of us have
                                    had this problem) and contact the manufacturer directly??

                                    if they were the same brand and purchased from the same spot then id
                                    assume it was the suppliers fault and not the manufacturer, so ill
                                    provide my source and type. if different suppliers and same
                                    manufacturer id assume it was a manufacturer fault?? agree???

                                    i purchased mine from mile high and it was alcoteh 48.

                                    not trying to stir the pot, ive put it behind me. although it is
                                    rather interesting that im not the only one who had to deal with this.
                                    i had to let the ferment sit for 2.5 weeks before it was done. not my
                                    usual 8 days. yes it is a turbo 48 but i always let it complete its
                                    job and all previous were more than done by 8 days.(instructions call
                                    for 5 days with temp. varying this time some) im at their temp
                                    steadily but give it a few extra days to be sure!

                                    appreciated
                                    kirtgk

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

                                      > i also had a similar problem with some of my yeast!! harry told me
                                      the
                                      > same thing. check exp. date and batch number then take it up with
                                      > supplier. mine wasnt totaly dead but a lot less vigorous than
                                      previous
                                      > packs. i took the loss and now purchase from elese where.

                                      ...........My preference would be to contact BOTH supplier and maker
                                      at the same time. Use the CC capability of the email. That way
                                      everything is above board, all parties know that the other has been
                                      informed, and it gives them a chance to trace any problems and make
                                      good.

                                      It's not fair to dis a supplier without giving them a chance.
                                      Perhaps it was due to some outside influence such as customs,
                                      shipping etc. over which they have little control. Only by giving
                                      both supplier and maker the info can they take steps to ensure it
                                      doesn't happen again.

                                    • michael_fearn
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 8, 2006
                                        I have personally have nothing but good things to say about my
                                        suppler. He was very quick with some answers and said he would replace
                                        the bad yeast. I would gladly order from him again, and in fact have.
                                        Though i asked for different brand of Turbo Yeast this time. :) The
                                        stuff that did not work for me was "Turbo 8Kg". Probably just an
                                        isolated problem. Like you say, it could have happened at many
                                        different times. Production, packaging, shipping to supplier,
                                        supplier, shipping to me, me. I am not holding a grudge, I am just
                                        happy I got it figured out. I thought I was going crazy. I am new at
                                        this and I thought I had really screwed up somewhere. If it keeps
                                        happening I may start to get annoyed though. :)

                                        Cheers,
                                        Michael

                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > i also had a similar problem with some of my yeast!! harry told me
                                        > the
                                        > > same thing. check exp. date and batch number then take it up with
                                        > > supplier. mine wasnt totaly dead but a lot less vigorous than
                                        > previous
                                        > > packs. i took the loss and now purchase from elese where.
                                        >

                                        > ...........My preference would be to contact BOTH supplier and maker
                                        > at the same time. Use the CC capability of the email. That way
                                        > everything is above board, all parties know that the other has been
                                        > informed, and it gives them a chance to trace any problems and make
                                        > good.
                                        >
                                        > It's not fair to dis a supplier without giving them a chance.
                                        > Perhaps it was due to some outside influence such as customs,
                                        > shipping etc. over which they have little control. Only by giving
                                        > both supplier and maker the info can they take steps to ensure it
                                        > doesn't happen again.
                                        >
                                        > Slainte!
                                        > regards Harry

                                      • Jan Wouter
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 9, 2006
                                          2006/10/9, Rick <yahoogroupmail@...>:

                                          > My supplier always has his yeasts in the refrigerator where others leave
                                          > them on the shelf. I've yet to try my turbo yeasts (refrigerated) but I
                                          > know
                                          > the Lavlin on the shelf has never failed.
                                          >
                                          > Rick

                                          I normally store my yeast at room temperature, but reading all this I will
                                          put it in the refrigerator.
                                          Forunately I'm blessed with a lovely wife who does complain about things
                                          like that, as long as I tidy up the mess I make.

                                          Jan Wouter

                                        • donald holcombe
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 9, 2006
                                            Its the anthrax radiation biofilter thats killing the yeast.

                                            michael_fearn <michael_fearn@...> wrote: Hi Stevo,

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 10, 2006
                                              2006/10/10, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...>:

                                              > Its the anthrax radiation biofilter thats killing the yeast.

                                              Is this a joke or serious?

                                              Jan Wouter, hoping it's a joke

                                            • donald holcombe
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 10, 2006
                                                I really dont know what they are doing to the mail lately.I was joking !! WHO Knows. The anthrax was so limited I doubt its much of a concern right now. How ever I do know if they put something through a bio irradiator nothing live makes it through. Likely cause is heat or moisture followed by heat.I always have a sachet of 1118 ready just in case.