Re: [new_distillers] Re: how much malt is enough?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
      I knew if I stumbled around long enough someone would help me out. THANKS I couldnt seem to find the exact info I was searching for.

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: For Donald...

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > My understanding is that the enzyme can grow or replicate. However
      I cant find any info to back this up, at this time.Iv used 20%
      before and done OK. Overnight ! Iv also used 3ounces of powder in
      a 15Lb cornmeal batch.I'll try to find more info. LATER

      ............Enzymes don't replicate. An enzyme is a protein
      manufactured by a living organism (in our distiller's case, by a
      seed, or a yeast). Its sole purpose is to act as a catalyst to a
      chemical reaction. Catalysts speed up a reaction, without being
      changed, or used up themselves. That's why they're still there and
      active when all the starch has been converted. That's also one
      reason why they need to be killed off (deactivated) in producing
      some types of beer.

      For Tyler...

      > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted
      barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
      > keep working if kept at the right temperature?

      ....See above.

      For a 5-7 gallon mash,
      > can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it?

      .......The usual dosage is to use about 10%-15% by weight of the
      grain bill as malted barley. If using malted wheat, a little more;
      if malted corn, a fair bit more. Barley & wheat have good enzyme
      power, and can convert themselves plus a considerable amount of
      other grains in the grain bill also. Other grains like corn are
      barely capable of converting their own weight.

      Does more
      > just get the job done quicker?

      .........Yes. As I said above, it's a catalyst.