Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
      Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Robert Thomas"
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm
      surprised there was no response
      Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 07:04:25 -0700 (PDT)

      yup,
      dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
      What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
      inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
      solvent mixture is).
      at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
      (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves
      the carbon.
      So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
      cheers
      Rob.

    • Alexander
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
        Thanks for the input so far....
        However,
        I am still not clear on what I should do.....
        a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
        pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
        b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
        filtering process.
        c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
        joking)...lol

        I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

        +
        > > liquid
        > >
        > > cheers
        > > rob.
        > >
        > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
        > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
        > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
        > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
        > > > that
        > > > cheers

        > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
        > > >

        > > Cheers,
        > > Rob.

        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
        > >

        > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
        > >
        > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
        > > #american-pie on Starchat
        > >
        > > --
        > >

        > Cheers,
        > Rob.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
        >

        > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
        >
        > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
        > #american-pie on Starchat
        >
        > --

      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hi Alex
          What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
          come from a brew shop.
          As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
          before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
          Were they the same temp?
          It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
          it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
          the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
          possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
          in it.
          How much carbon did you use in your filter?
          Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
          next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
          next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
          out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
          the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
          drop of %.

          Happy drinking

          Stevo

          > Thanks for the input so far....
          > However,
          > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
          > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
          > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
          > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
          > filtering process.
          > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
          > joking)...lol
          >

          > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
          > Alex
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
            After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
            you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
            carbon.
            rob.

            === message truncated ===

            Cheers,