Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
      yup,
      dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
      What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
      inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
      solvent mixture is).
      at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
      (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
      the carbon.
      So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
      cheers
      Rob.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
        Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

        --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

        > I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to
        > carbon
        > filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
        > 40%. blanikdog.

      • Alexander
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
          Thanks for the input so far....
          However,
          I am still not clear on what I should do.....
          a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
          pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
          b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
          filtering process.
          c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
          joking)...lol

          I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
          Alex

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

          +
          > > liquid
          > >
          > > cheers
          > > rob.
          > >
          > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
          > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
          > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
          > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
          > > > that
          > > > cheers

          > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          > > >

          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          > >

          > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
          > >
          > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          > > #american-pie on Starchat
          > >
          > > --
          > >

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
          >

          > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
          >
          > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          > #american-pie on Starchat
          >
          > --

        • stevolate
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
            Hi Alex
            What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
            come from a brew shop.
            As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
            before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
            Were they the same temp?
            It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
            it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
            the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
            possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
            in it.
            How much carbon did you use in your filter?
            Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
            next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
            next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
            out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
            the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
            drop of %.

            Happy drinking

            Stevo

            > Thanks for the input so far....
            > However,
            > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
            > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
            > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
            > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
            > filtering process.
            > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
            > joking)...lol
            >

            > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
            > Alex
          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
              After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
              you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
              carbon.
              rob.

              === message truncated ===

              Cheers,