Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
      I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to carbon
      filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
      40%. blanikdog.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
        yup,
        dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
        What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
        inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
        solvent mixture is).
        at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
        (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
        the carbon.
        So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
        cheers
        Rob.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
          Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

          --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

          > I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to
          > carbon
          > filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
          > 40%. blanikdog.

        • Alexander
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
            Thanks for the input so far....
            However,
            I am still not clear on what I should do.....
            a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
            pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
            b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
            filtering process.
            c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
            joking)...lol

            I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
            Alex

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

            +
            > > liquid
            > >
            > > cheers
            > > rob.
            > >
            > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
            > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
            > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
            > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
            > > > that
            > > > cheers

            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > > >

            > > Cheers,
            > > Rob.

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > >

            > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
            > >
            > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            > > #american-pie on Starchat
            > >
            > > --
            > >

            > Cheers,
            > Rob.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >

            > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
            >
            > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            > #american-pie on Starchat
            >
            > --

          • stevolate
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
              Hi Alex
              What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
              come from a brew shop.
              As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
              before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
              Were they the same temp?
              It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
              it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
              the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
              possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
              in it.
              How much carbon did you use in your filter?
              Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
              next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
              next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
              out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
              the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
              drop of %.

              Happy drinking

              Stevo

              > Thanks for the input so far....
              > However,
              > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
              > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
              > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
              > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
              > filtering process.
              > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
              > joking)...lol
              >

              > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
              > Alex
            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
                After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
                you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
                carbon.
                rob.

                === message truncated ===

                Cheers,