Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
      a Kg of carbon will hold alot of liquid and appear dry.
      I think what happened was you diluted your spirit with water. the
      reason you got no more liquid is that some remained in the carbon.
      ie:
      water(in carbon)+ strong hooch(liquid) -> weak hooch(in carbon) +
      liquid

      cheers
      rob.

      --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
      > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
      > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
      > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
      > that
      > cheers
      > --- Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Ok, more info which may help.
      > > I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper
      > > pipe....reduced down to 12mm
      > > pipe, valved at the end.
      > > I have previously used the standard carbon which I
      > > was getting from
      > > the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then
      > > allow the ethanol
      > > at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per
      > > second.....or at a
      > > very slow drizzle.)
      > > I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear
      > > fluid) thru at a
      > > time.
      > > This has been very successful so far.
      > > However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to
      > > be striping the
      > > ethanol out.
      > > I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out
      > > on a tray to dry
      > > out a little, before placing the carbon into the
      > > tank.
      > > I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually
      > > do. After allowing
      > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
      > > in actual liquid
      > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
      > > However...the difference
      > > in ABV was approx 25%.
      > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
      > > I hope this helps.......
      > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
      > > Thanks
      > > Alex
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
      > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
      > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
      > > dry it completely??
      > > >
      > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
      > > it spread thin on
      > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
      > > and got just a
      > > littel
      > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
      > > >

      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
      > > <amr_services@>

      > > input?

      > > "Alexander"
      > > <amr_services@>

      > > extruded type, about
      > > the
      > > the Home Brew shop.

      > > through 2 litres of
      > > spirit @

      > > Alcohol?
      > > clean.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
        I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to carbon
        filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
        40%. blanikdog.

> [...]

        > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
        > > in actual liquid
        > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
        > > However...the difference
        > > in ABV was approx 25%.
        > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
        > > I hope this helps.......
        > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
        > > Thanks
        > > Alex
        > >

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
        > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
        > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
        > > dry it completely??
        > > >
        > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
        > > it spread thin on
        > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
        > > and got just a
        > > littel
        > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

        My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
        #american-pie on Starchat

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
          yup,
          dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
          What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
          inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
          solvent mixture is).
          at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
          (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
          the carbon.
          So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
          cheers
          Rob.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
            Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

            --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

            > I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to
            > carbon
            > filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
            > 40%. blanikdog.

          • Alexander
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
              Thanks for the input so far....
              However,
              I am still not clear on what I should do.....
              a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
              pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
              b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
              filtering process.
              c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
              joking)...lol

              I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
              Alex

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

              +
              > > liquid
              > >
              > > cheers
              > > rob.
              > >
              > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
              > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
              > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
              > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
              > > > that
              > > > cheers

              > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
              > > >

              > > Cheers,
              > > Rob.

              > > http://mail.yahoo.com
              > >

              > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
              > >
              > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              > > #american-pie on Starchat
              > >
              > > --
              > >

              > Cheers,
              > Rob.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com
              >

              > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
              >
              > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              > #american-pie on Starchat
              >
              > --

            • stevolate
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                Hi Alex
                What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
                come from a brew shop.
                As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
                before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
                Were they the same temp?
                It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
                it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
                the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
                possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
                in it.
                How much carbon did you use in your filter?
                Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
                next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
                next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
                out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
                the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
                drop of %.

                Happy drinking

                Stevo

                > Thanks for the input so far....
                > However,
                > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                > filtering process.
                > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                > joking)...lol
                >

                > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                > Alex
              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
                  After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
                  you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
                  carbon.
                  rob.

                  === message truncated ===

                  Cheers,