Re: [new_distillers] how much malt is enough?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
      I cant find out anything about enzyme reproduction. 6 row barley is higher in enzyme when fully modified.Highly active enzymes are in Ginger Root and the inside of a banana peel .Spit and stomach juice ( pancreatic enzymes ) also contain amylase. The action of the enzymes is inhibited by a rise in sugar content. Try a small amount of mash as a test. LATER !

      tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
      keep working if kept at the right temperature? For a 5-7 gallon mash,
      can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it? Does more
      just get the job done quicker?

      -Tyler

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
        For Donald...

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
        <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

        > My understanding is that the enzyme can grow or replicate. However
        I cant find any info to back this up, at this time.Iv used 20%
        before and done OK. Overnight ! Iv also used 3ounces of powder in
        a 15Lb cornmeal batch.I'll try to find more info. LATER

        ............Enzymes don't replicate. An enzyme is a protein
        manufactured by a living organism (in our distiller's case, by a
        seed, or a yeast). Its sole purpose is to act as a catalyst to a
        chemical reaction. Catalysts speed up a reaction, without being
        changed, or used up themselves. That's why they're still there and
        active when all the starch has been converted. That's also one
        reason why they need to be killed off (deactivated) in producing
        some types of beer.

        For Tyler...

        > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted
        barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
        > keep working if kept at the right temperature?

        ....See above.

        For a 5-7 gallon mash,
        > can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it?

        .......The usual dosage is to use about 10%-15% by weight of the
        grain bill as malted barley. If using malted wheat, a little more;
        if malted corn, a fair bit more. Barley & wheat have good enzyme
        power, and can convert themselves plus a considerable amount of
        other grains in the grain bill also. Other grains like corn are
        barely capable of converting their own weight.

        Does more
        > just get the job done quicker?

        .........Yes. As I said above, it's a catalyst.

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          I knew if I stumbled around long enough someone would help me out. THANKS I couldnt seem to find the exact info I was searching for.

          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: For Donald...