Re: [new_distillers] how much malt is enough?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2 5:35 PM
      My understanding is that the enzyme can grow or replicate. However I cant find any info to back this up, at this time.Iv used 20% before and done OK. Overnight ! Iv also used 3ounces of powder in a 15Lb cornmeal batch.I'll try to find more info. LATER

      tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
      keep working if kept at the right temperature? For a 5-7 gallon mash,
      can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it? Does more
      just get the job done quicker?

      -Tyler

    • donald holcombe

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2 6:24 PM
          For Donald...

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
          <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

          > My understanding is that the enzyme can grow or replicate. However
          I cant find any info to back this up, at this time.Iv used 20%
          before and done OK. Overnight ! Iv also used 3ounces of powder in
          a 15Lb cornmeal batch.I'll try to find more info. LATER

          ............Enzymes don't replicate. An enzyme is a protein
          manufactured by a living organism (in our distiller's case, by a
          seed, or a yeast). Its sole purpose is to act as a catalyst to a
          chemical reaction. Catalysts speed up a reaction, without being
          changed, or used up themselves. That's why they're still there and
          active when all the starch has been converted. That's also one
          reason why they need to be killed off (deactivated) in producing
          some types of beer.

          For Tyler...

          > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted
          barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
          > keep working if kept at the right temperature?

          ....See above.

          For a 5-7 gallon mash,
          > can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it?

          .......The usual dosage is to use about 10%-15% by weight of the
          grain bill as malted barley. If using malted wheat, a little more;
          if malted corn, a fair bit more. Barley & wheat have good enzyme
          power, and can convert themselves plus a considerable amount of
          other grains in the grain bill also. Other grains like corn are
          barely capable of converting their own weight.

          Does more
          > just get the job done quicker?

          .........Yes. As I said above, it's a catalyst.

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3 6:55 PM
            I knew if I stumbled around long enough someone would help me out. THANKS I couldnt seem to find the exact info I was searching for.

            Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: For Donald...