Re: [new_distillers] First run and fermentation question

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      d.o.g,
      just run it: it is so near to finished that it doesn't matter.
      As to limiting your time: I'd strip run the whole lot (we're talking
      perhaps 4 hours start to cleaned up finish): there won't be anything
      drinkable to show for it, but you can then treat with bicarb and have a
      much quicker/better second run (send her out shopping, and have a
      vodka&tonic ready when she gets back!).
      cheers
      Rob.

      --- dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

      > Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've read
      > every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to ask
      > question.
      >
      > Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
      > Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
      > today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees which
      > according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
      > bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale straw
      > colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes good
      > enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
      > If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
      > run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.
      >
      > Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't that
      > tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the job
      > done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
      > the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half the
      > time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
      > do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed
      > container?
      >
      > Many Thanks

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dreamofgilgamesh
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas wisely tapped out
        these words

        > d.o.g,
        > just run it

        Thanks for your words of wisdom Rob but stripping runs sounds like
        running before i can walk lol. But i'm glad to hear that you think
        the wash will be ok to run. So, for the purposes of a first run and
        finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
        am i just a wimp lol.

        Best Wishes
      • dcrawford@clarityconnect.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006

          >> d.o.g,
          >> just run it
          >
          >So, for the purposes of a first run and
          >finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
          >am i just a wimp lol.

          Yes, you are!

          :-)

          DC
        • dreamofgilgamesh
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dcrawford@... wrote:

            > Yes, you are!

            hahahaha 'nuf said!
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              Gilgamesh,

              Yes, you are a wimp. Honor the name you have taken!
              (just kidding of course)...

              I think that it'd take more time to run twice than
              once because of heat up time. You can shut down the
              run at any time and start up at a later time. Of
              course it will involve the additional pre-heat time.
              I have had to do this from time to time. I run into
              'time' issues because of my wife as well.
              Run it. Get 'er done!

              Link

              http://mail.yahoo.com