Re: First run and fermentation question

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      6 hours should be plenty of time to distill that size of a wash. It
      only takes me 3 hour for a 25ltr was, but i am using a pot still and
      a 1500 watt heater. It all depends on what your heat input is, and
      what your relux ratio is.

      -Tyler

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
      <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

      > Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've
      read
      > every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to
      ask a
      > question.
      >
      > Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
      > Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
      > today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees
      which
      > according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
      > bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale
      straw
      > colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes
      good
      > enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
      > If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
      > run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.
      >
      > Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't
      that
      > tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the
      job
      > done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
      > the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half
      the
      > time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
      > do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed
      container?

      > Many Thanks

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        d.o.g,
        just run it: it is so near to finished that it doesn't matter.
        As to limiting your time: I'd strip run the whole lot (we're talking
        perhaps 4 hours start to cleaned up finish): there won't be anything
        drinkable to show for it, but you can then treat with bicarb and have a
        much quicker/better second run (send her out shopping, and have a
        vodka&tonic ready when she gets back!).
        cheers
        Rob.

        --- dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've read
        > every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to ask
        > question.
        >
        > Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
        > Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
        > today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees which
        > according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
        > bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale straw
        > colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes good
        > enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
        > If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
        > run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.
        >
        > Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't that
        > tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the job
        > done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
        > the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half the
        > time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
        > do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed
        > container?
        >
        > Many Thanks

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dreamofgilgamesh
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas wisely tapped out
          these words

          > d.o.g,
          > just run it

          Thanks for your words of wisdom Rob but stripping runs sounds like
          running before i can walk lol. But i'm glad to hear that you think
          the wash will be ok to run. So, for the purposes of a first run and
          finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
          am i just a wimp lol.

          Best Wishes
        • dcrawford@clarityconnect.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006

            >> d.o.g,
            >> just run it
            >
            >So, for the purposes of a first run and
            >finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
            >am i just a wimp lol.

            Yes, you are!

            :-)

            DC
          • dreamofgilgamesh
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dcrawford@... wrote:

              > Yes, you are!

              hahahaha 'nuf said!
            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                Gilgamesh,

                Yes, you are a wimp. Honor the name you have taken!
                (just kidding of course)...

                I think that it'd take more time to run twice than
                once because of heat up time. You can shut down the
                run at any time and start up at a later time. Of
                course it will involve the additional pre-heat time.
                I have had to do this from time to time. I run into
                'time' issues because of my wife as well.
                Run it. Get 'er done!

                Link

                http://mail.yahoo.com