First run and fermentation question

  • dreamofgilgamesh
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've read
      every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to ask a
      question.

      Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
      Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
      today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees which
      according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
      bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale straw
      colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes good
      enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
      If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
      run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.

      Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't that
      tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the job
      done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
      the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half the
      time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
      do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed container?

      Many Thanks
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        6 hours should be plenty of time to distill that size of a wash. It
        only takes me 3 hour for a 25ltr was, but i am using a pot still and
        a 1500 watt heater. It all depends on what your heat input is, and
        what your relux ratio is.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dreamofgilgamesh"
        <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've
        read
        > every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to
        ask a
        > question.
        >
        > Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
        > Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
        > today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees
        which
        > according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
        > bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale
        straw
        > colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes
        good
        > enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
        > If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
        > run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.
        >
        > Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't
        that
        > tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the
        job
        > done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
        > the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half
        the
        > time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
        > do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed
        container?

        > Many Thanks

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          d.o.g,
          just run it: it is so near to finished that it doesn't matter.
          As to limiting your time: I'd strip run the whole lot (we're talking
          perhaps 4 hours start to cleaned up finish): there won't be anything
          drinkable to show for it, but you can then treat with bicarb and have a
          much quicker/better second run (send her out shopping, and have a
          vodka&tonic ready when she gets back!).
          cheers
          Rob.

          --- dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote:

          > Dear Group, almost ready for my 1st proper run and although i've read
          > every post here and the whole Homedistiller site i still need to ask
          > question.
          >
          > Last Saturday i made a sugar wash of 23ltrs with 8kg of sugar and a
          > Alcotec 48. The starting sg was 1.135 at 70 degrees. I checked it
          > today (Monday one week later) and the SG is 1.010 at 70 degrees which
          > according to what i've read is a wee bit too high. I can't see any
          > bubbling to speak of although the wash looks good. It's a pale straw
          > colour with no noticable sweetness, no yeast taste and it tastes good
          > enough to drink, like a cross between a dry cider and a dry sherry.
          > If it doesn't drop over the next day or so will it be good enough to
          > run? I reckon its about 16% alcohol which aint too bad i guess.
          >
          > Now as to the run itself. Time is a major factor as SWMBO isn't that
          > tickled by the idea of a still so i have about 6 hours to get the job
          > done. I was wondering, as this is my 1st attempt, whether to split
          > the wash in 2 and run it like that. I figured it would take half the
          > time, plus, if i kack it up i've not wasted the lot. If i did that,
          > do you think the remaining wash would keep good in a sealed
          > container?
          >
          > Many Thanks

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • dreamofgilgamesh
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas wisely tapped out
            these words

            > d.o.g,
            > just run it

            Thanks for your words of wisdom Rob but stripping runs sounds like
            running before i can walk lol. But i'm glad to hear that you think
            the wash will be ok to run. So, for the purposes of a first run and
            finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
            am i just a wimp lol.

            Best Wishes
          • dcrawford@clarityconnect.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006

              >> d.o.g,
              >> just run it
              >
              >So, for the purposes of a first run and
              >finding my feet, would my idea of doing it in 2 halves be a winner or
              >am i just a wimp lol.

              Yes, you are!

              :-)

              DC
            • dreamofgilgamesh
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dcrawford@... wrote:

                > Yes, you are!

                hahahaha 'nuf said!
              • Link D'Antoni
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Gilgamesh,

                  Yes, you are a wimp. Honor the name you have taken!
                  (just kidding of course)...

                  I think that it'd take more time to run twice than
                  once because of heat up time. You can shut down the
                  run at any time and start up at a later time. Of
                  course it will involve the additional pre-heat time.
                  I have had to do this from time to time. I run into
                  'time' issues because of my wife as well.
                  Run it. Get 'er done!

                  Link

                  http://mail.yahoo.com