Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • Alexander
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
      Ok, more info which may help.
      I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper pipe....reduced down to 12mm
      pipe, valved at the end.
      I have previously used the standard carbon which I was getting from
      the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then allow the ethanol
      at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per second.....or at a
      very slow drizzle.)
      I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear fluid) thru at a
      time.
      This has been very successful so far.
      However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to be striping the
      ethanol out.
      I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out on a tray to dry
      out a little, before placing the carbon into the tank.
      I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually do. After allowing
      all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss in actual liquid
      was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls.. However...the difference
      in ABV was approx 25%.
      It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
      I hope this helps.......
      I look fwd to reading the responses.
      Thanks
      Alex

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

      > was there any moisure in the carbon??
      > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not dry it completely??
      >
      > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with it spread thin on
      > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon and got just a
      littel
      > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I am surprised that there was no response to my
      > > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
      > > Alex
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
      <amr_services@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about
      the
      > > same
      > > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
      > > >
      > > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of
      spirit @
      > > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
      > > >
      > > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
      > > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
      > > > Alex

    • tim smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
        did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
        washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
        filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
        that
        cheers

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
          a Kg of carbon will hold alot of liquid and appear dry.
          I think what happened was you diluted your spirit with water. the
          reason you got no more liquid is that some remained in the carbon.
          ie:
          water(in carbon)+ strong hooch(liquid) -> weak hooch(in carbon) +
          liquid

          cheers
          rob.

          --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

          > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
          > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
          > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
          > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
          > that
          > cheers
          > --- Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Ok, more info which may help.
          > > I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper
          > > pipe....reduced down to 12mm
          > > pipe, valved at the end.
          > > I have previously used the standard carbon which I
          > > was getting from
          > > the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then
          > > allow the ethanol
          > > at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per
          > > second.....or at a
          > > very slow drizzle.)
          > > I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear
          > > fluid) thru at a
          > > time.
          > > This has been very successful so far.
          > > However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to
          > > be striping the
          > > ethanol out.
          > > I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out
          > > on a tray to dry
          > > out a little, before placing the carbon into the
          > > tank.
          > > I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually
          > > do. After allowing
          > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
          > > in actual liquid
          > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
          > > However...the difference
          > > in ABV was approx 25%.
          > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
          > > I hope this helps.......
          > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
          > > Thanks
          > > Alex
          > >

          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
          > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
          > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
          > > dry it completely??
          > > >
          > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
          > > it spread thin on
          > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
          > > and got just a
          > > littel
          > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
          > > >

          > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
          > > <amr_services@>

          > > input?

          > > "Alexander"
          > > <amr_services@>

          > > extruded type, about
          > > the
          > > the Home Brew shop.

          > > through 2 litres of
          > > spirit @

          > > Alcohol?
          > > clean.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
            I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to carbon
            filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
            40%. blanikdog.

> [...]

            > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
            > > in actual liquid
            > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
            > > However...the difference
            > > in ABV was approx 25%.
            > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
            > > I hope this helps.......
            > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
            > > Thanks
            > > Alex
            > >

            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
            > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
            > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
            > > dry it completely??
            > > >
            > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
            > > it spread thin on
            > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
            > > and got just a
            > > littel
            > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

            My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            #american-pie on Starchat

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
              yup,
              dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
              What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
              inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
              solvent mixture is).
              at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
              (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
              the carbon.
              So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
              cheers
              Rob.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Thanks for the input so far....
                  However,
                  I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                  a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                  pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                  b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                  filtering process.
                  c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                  joking)...lol

                  I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                  Alex

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

                  +
                  > > liquid
                  > >
                  > > cheers
                  > > rob.
                  > >
                  > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
                  > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
                  > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
                  > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
                  > > > that
                  > > > cheers

                  > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  > > >

                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Rob.

                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  > >

                  > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                  > >
                  > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                  > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                  > > #american-pie on Starchat
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > >

                  > Cheers,
                  > Rob.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >

                  > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                  >
                  > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                  > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                  > #american-pie on Starchat
                  >
                  > --

                • stevolate
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Hi Alex
                    What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
                    come from a brew shop.
                    As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
                    before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
                    Were they the same temp?
                    It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
                    it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
                    the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
                    possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
                    in it.
                    How much carbon did you use in your filter?
                    Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
                    next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
                    next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
                    out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
                    the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
                    drop of %.

                    Happy drinking

                    Stevo

                    > Thanks for the input so far....
                    > However,
                    > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                    > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                    > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                    > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                    > filtering process.
                    > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                    > joking)...lol
                    >

                    > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                    > Alex
                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
                      After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
                      you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
                      carbon.
                      rob.

                      === message truncated ===

                      Cheers,