Re: oak barrel size question

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:

      > i read a theory once where your barrel should be at least half
      full to avoid shrinkage and eventual (almost) irreversible damage to
      > your barrel. i just poured out about 7 litres of gear out of a 25
      litre barrel and it seems fine to me still.

      > i will stand corrected if someone can tell me otherwise but i dont
      think there is a problem at all...

      > Hi, Tim, hi folks,
      Maybe you could roll the barrel around say a quarter turn
      every few days. It shouldn't dry out and you would get the benefit
      of the oak in the parts of the barrel not usually wet by the
      contents.
      The Baker