how much malt is enough?

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Do the enzymes in malted barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
      keep working if kept at the right temperature? For a 5-7 gallon mash,
      can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it? Does more
      just get the job done quicker?

      -Tyler
    • donald holcombe

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
            For Donald...

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
            <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

            > My understanding is that the enzyme can grow or replicate. However
            I cant find any info to back this up, at this time.Iv used 20%
            before and done OK. Overnight ! Iv also used 3ounces of powder in
            a 15Lb cornmeal batch.I'll try to find more info. LATER

            ............Enzymes don't replicate. An enzyme is a protein
            manufactured by a living organism (in our distiller's case, by a
            seed, or a yeast). Its sole purpose is to act as a catalyst to a
            chemical reaction. Catalysts speed up a reaction, without being
            changed, or used up themselves. That's why they're still there and
            active when all the starch has been converted. That's also one
            reason why they need to be killed off (deactivated) in producing
            some types of beer.

            For Tyler...

            > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Do the enzymes in malted
            barly eg all used up after a while, or will it
            > keep working if kept at the right temperature?

            ....See above.

            For a 5-7 gallon mash,
            > can i just use a cup, or should i be using 2 pounds of it?

            .......The usual dosage is to use about 10%-15% by weight of the
            grain bill as malted barley. If using malted wheat, a little more;
            if malted corn, a fair bit more. Barley & wheat have good enzyme
            power, and can convert themselves plus a considerable amount of
            other grains in the grain bill also. Other grains like corn are
            barely capable of converting their own weight.

            Does more
            > just get the job done quicker?

            .........Yes. As I said above, it's a catalyst.

          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
              I knew if I stumbled around long enough someone would help me out. THANKS I couldnt seem to find the exact info I was searching for.

              Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: For Donald...