Re: Carbon Filtering Question..I'm surprised there was no response

  • kirtgk
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
      was there any moisure in the carbon??
      did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not dry it completely??

      i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with it spread thin on
      paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon and got just a littel
      less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@...>
      wrote:

      > I am surprised that there was no response to my
      > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
      > Alex
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about the
      > same
      > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
      > >
      > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of spirit @
      > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
      > >
      > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
      > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
      > > Alex

    • Alexander
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
        Ok, more info which may help.
        I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper pipe....reduced down to 12mm
        pipe, valved at the end.
        I have previously used the standard carbon which I was getting from
        the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then allow the ethanol
        at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per second.....or at a
        very slow drizzle.)
        I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear fluid) thru at a
        time.
        This has been very successful so far.
        However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to be striping the
        ethanol out.
        I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out on a tray to dry
        out a little, before placing the carbon into the tank.
        I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually do. After allowing
        all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss in actual liquid
        was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls.. However...the difference
        in ABV was approx 25%.
        It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
        I hope this helps.......
        I look fwd to reading the responses.
        Thanks
        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

        > was there any moisure in the carbon??
        > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not dry it completely??
        >
        > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with it spread thin on
        > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon and got just a
        littel
        > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am surprised that there was no response to my
        > > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
        > > Alex
        > >

        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
        <amr_services@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about
        the
        > > same
        > > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
        > > >
        > > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of
        spirit @
        > > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
        > > >
        > > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
        > > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
        > > > Alex

      • tim smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
          did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
          washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
          filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
          that
          cheers

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
            a Kg of carbon will hold alot of liquid and appear dry.
            I think what happened was you diluted your spirit with water. the
            reason you got no more liquid is that some remained in the carbon.
            ie:
            water(in carbon)+ strong hooch(liquid) -> weak hooch(in carbon) +
            liquid

            cheers
            rob.

            --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

            > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
            > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
            > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
            > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
            > that
            > cheers
            > --- Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ok, more info which may help.
            > > I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper
            > > pipe....reduced down to 12mm
            > > pipe, valved at the end.
            > > I have previously used the standard carbon which I
            > > was getting from
            > > the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then
            > > allow the ethanol
            > > at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per
            > > second.....or at a
            > > very slow drizzle.)
            > > I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear
            > > fluid) thru at a
            > > time.
            > > This has been very successful so far.
            > > However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to
            > > be striping the
            > > ethanol out.
            > > I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out
            > > on a tray to dry
            > > out a little, before placing the carbon into the
            > > tank.
            > > I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually
            > > do. After allowing
            > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
            > > in actual liquid
            > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
            > > However...the difference
            > > in ABV was approx 25%.
            > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
            > > I hope this helps.......
            > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
            > > Thanks
            > > Alex
            > >

            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
            > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
            > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
            > > dry it completely??
            > > >
            > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
            > > it spread thin on
            > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
            > > and got just a
            > > littel
            > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
            > > >

            > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
            > > <amr_services@>

            > > input?

            > > "Alexander"
            > > <amr_services@>

            > > extruded type, about
            > > the
            > > the Home Brew shop.

            > > through 2 litres of
            > > spirit @

            > > Alcohol?
            > > clean.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
              I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to carbon
              filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
              40%. blanikdog.

> [...]

              > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
              > > in actual liquid
              > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
              > > However...the difference
              > > in ABV was approx 25%.
              > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
              > > I hope this helps.......
              > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
              > > Thanks
              > > Alex
              > >

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
              > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
              > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
              > > dry it completely??
              > > >
              > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
              > > it spread thin on
              > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
              > > and got just a
              > > littel
              > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

              My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              #american-pie on Starchat

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                yup,
                dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
                What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
                inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
                solvent mixture is).
                at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
                (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
                the carbon.
                So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
                cheers
                Rob.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Thanks for the input so far....
                    However,
                    I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                    a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                    pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                    b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                    filtering process.
                    c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                    joking)...lol

                    I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                    Alex

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

                    +
                    > > liquid
                    > >
                    > > cheers
                    > > rob.
                    > >
                    > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
                    > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
                    > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
                    > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
                    > > > that
                    > > > cheers

                    > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    > > >

                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Rob.

                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    > >

                    > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                    > >
                    > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                    > > #american-pie on Starchat
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > >

                    > Cheers,
                    > Rob.

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >

                    > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                    >
                    > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                    > #american-pie on Starchat
                    >
                    > --

                  • stevolate
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Hi Alex
                      What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
                      come from a brew shop.
                      As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
                      before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
                      Were they the same temp?
                      It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
                      it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
                      the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
                      possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
                      in it.
                      How much carbon did you use in your filter?
                      Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
                      next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
                      next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
                      out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
                      the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
                      drop of %.

                      Happy drinking

                      Stevo

                      > Thanks for the input so far....
                      > However,
                      > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                      > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                      > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                      > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                      > filtering process.
                      > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                      > joking)...lol
                      >

                      > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                      > Alex
                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
                        After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
                        you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
                        carbon.
                        rob.

                        === message truncated ===

                        Cheers,