RE: [new_distillers] oak barrel size question

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
      i read a theory once where your barrel should be at least half full to avoid shrinkage and eventual (almost) irreversible damage to
      your barrel. i just poured out about 7 litres of gear out of a 25 litre barrel and it seems fine to me still.

      i will stand corrected if someone can tell me otherwise but i dont think there is a problem at all...

      _____

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:

        > i read a theory once where your barrel should be at least half
        full to avoid shrinkage and eventual (almost) irreversible damage to
        > your barrel. i just poured out about 7 litres of gear out of a 25
        litre barrel and it seems fine to me still.

        > i will stand corrected if someone can tell me otherwise but i dont
        think there is a problem at all...

        > Hi, Tim, hi folks,
        Maybe you could roll the barrel around say a quarter turn
        every few days. It shouldn't dry out and you would get the benefit
        of the oak in the parts of the barrel not usually wet by the
        contents.
        The Baker

        > _____

        29/09/2006