oak barrel size question

  • byte763
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
      is it okay to age 2 gallons of whisky in a 3 or 5 gallon oak barrel or
      is it not good to have that extra air space?
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
        i read a theory once where your barrel should be at least half full to avoid shrinkage and eventual (almost) irreversible damage to
        your barrel. i just poured out about 7 litres of gear out of a 25 litre barrel and it seems fine to me still.

        i will stand corrected if someone can tell me otherwise but i dont think there is a problem at all...

        _____

        is it okay to age 2 gallons of whisky in a 3 or 5 gallon oak barrel or
        is it not good to have that extra air space?

      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:

          > i read a theory once where your barrel should be at least half
          full to avoid shrinkage and eventual (almost) irreversible damage to
          > your barrel. i just poured out about 7 litres of gear out of a 25
          litre barrel and it seems fine to me still.

          > i will stand corrected if someone can tell me otherwise but i dont
          think there is a problem at all...

          > Hi, Tim, hi folks,
          Maybe you could roll the barrel around say a quarter turn
          every few days. It shouldn't dry out and you would get the benefit
          of the oak in the parts of the barrel not usually wet by the
          contents.
          The Baker

          > _____

          29/09/2006