Re: [new_distillers] Strip runs,

  • Tony Turner
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
      The only time I clear my wash is when I'm making a neutral spirit (Vodka) run. To speed clear my wash I place the fermentor in a spare refrigerator I have for holding my beer. In the frig it will clear nicely in 3 or 4 days. I normally leave it in there for a week or so because I always have something ahead of it to run. Rack or decant it off the sediment and your ready to go.

      I got my spare refrigerator from a family that wanted it moved out of their basement. They said if I could get it out of there I could have it. It's a nice 15 year old side-by-side with ice maker and everything. A good cleaning was all it took to make it usable. It keeps my beer cold and gives me a place to clear my wine and mashes --- what a great deal, you can't beat free.

      As far as my other mashes go, I filter them through a pillow case before running them. I use my racking cane adjusted just above the sediment and let it flow through the pillow case into another bucket then into the still. It sounds like more trouble than it is.

      Cheers,
      Tony T