Re: [new_distillers] How long do i toast?

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2006
      I cannot directly answer your question but:
      most oak barrels come in light, medium or dark toast.
      The reason is the flavors that it imparts to the contained liquid.
      Most people go with medium toast for safety.
      Oak chips is exactly the same. Color is what I use for my indicator
      either a light beige to dark brown.
      Experiment
      At 05:04 PM 9/26/2006, you wrote:

      >How long should i toast my oak chips, and at what temperature?
      >I normally do it at 450F for 15 minutes. Just wondering what everyone
      >else does.
      >
      >-Tyler
      >
      >_

      Derek