Re: [new_distillers] Re: Exothermic reaction with Ethanol and Water....mmmmm?

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
      I found the same thing. The product came through about 2' of food
      grade plastic tubing at the end. The product was clear.
      As soon as I diluted with distilled water it went slightly
      cloudy. It disappeared as soon as I put it through my buon vino wine
      filter, but, I was still disturbed. While it is a little more
      clumbsy, I switched to a copper tube directly into the collecting container.
      End of cloudiness with dilution.
      I don't want to drink plastic.
      At 06:42 AM 9/24/2006, you wrote:

      >Bingo!!!
      >
      >I should have thought of this too but there are so many variables to
      >remember. I noticed last run that my "test tube" from my wine kit
      >went cloudy and crystallized when I put in 95% ABV to measure, and
      >yes, my output tube is food grade clear vinyl hose. That has to be
      >it. I will change it to stainless for the next run.
      >
      >Now, is my ethanol dangerous for consumption with whatever caused it
      >to go cloudy?
      >
      >thanks guys!!
      >
      >Paul
      >
      > > Another reason for milky spirits is plastic. In case you had PVC or
      > > similar plastic hoses in contact with 95.6% stuff those hoses may
      >have
      > > leeched softeners to your ethanol. Those softeners will turn
      >spirits
      > > cloudy.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >
      > > --- In
      > <mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
      > Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ethanol + water is exothermic (ie it gets hot). This is normal.
      > > > as to the milkiness, this is most likely caused by salts coming
      >out of
      > > > solution. RO water is not mineral free. You will find it settles
      >as a
      > > > fine dusting in the bottle. There is nothing dangerous about it.
      >you
      > > > can either decant or filter, or just ignore it. distilled water
      >won't
      > > > do this.
      > > > cheers
      > > > Rob.