Re: [new_distillers] I am just kind of dissapointed

  • Jeff Erickson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2000
      Hi Steven,

      I'm a newbee too. But from what I understand, you make
      a beer by converting the starch in the corn using
      barley malt. Some USA whiskey is made with about 80%
      corn, 10% rye or wheat and 10% barley malt. Mash at
      149 degrees F.
      Use 8lbs corn, 1 lb rye, 1lb malt to make 5 gal. of
      beer (all measurements are for the USA)
      Cook corn in 3 gal of water, cool to 170deg with
      .75gal water, add rye, cool to 149deg (maybe 150 to
      allow for cooling by the malt) Keep at 149deg until
      starch is converted.(2 to 6?hrs) If less flavor is
      wanted use sugar to bring the gravity up. (don't use
      sugar)
      The reason for a slow answer to your question is
      because this group only formed this week. Hang on
      awhile.

      Jeff(Rogue)

      --- Stevensgang@... wrote:
      > I haven't heard anything from anyone since joining
      > new_distillers . As I
      > stated before I am very excited to learn how to make
      > moonshine.
      > Especially a corn & sugar based moonshine. If you
      > can't help me that's
      > O.K. I'll look elsewhere I just thought this sounded
      > like something I
      > wanted to be a part of. Please don't take this wrong
      > I don't want to
      > sound like a whiner I am just revved up about
      > learning this! Waiting
      > for contact.

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Des
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2000
        Firstly, thank you for joining the new_distillers list. It was setup only 5
        days ago and the membership is still small, but growing. As more people
        subscribe then the pool of knowledge and experience will grow.
        As to your particular question, home distillers in New Zealand use a sugar
        and yeast/nutrient mix to ferment out and produce their wash. this is far
        easier, cleaner, and quicker than most other methods I have heard of. Also
        you have more control over the process and finished product - "it is a tried
        and true method".
        I do not know how far along the process you are and how important it is that
        you use corn, but this may be a method to consider.

        Hope all this helps and explains the apparent lack of response, hang in there,

        Regards

        Young Des