Carbon Filtering Question

  • Alexander
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2006
      I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about the same
      size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.

      I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of spirit @
      50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV

      Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
      The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
      Alex
    • Alexander
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
        I am surprised that there was no response to my
        question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
        Alex

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@...>
        wrote:

        > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about the
        same
        > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
        >
        > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of spirit @
        > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
        >
        > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
        > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
        > Alex

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
          Did you end up with 2 litres of liquid?
          Seems you "lost" 1/2 a litre of ethanol. that seems unlikely. how much
          carbon did you use (volume)?
          either the carbon was wet, and diluted your product, or one or both abv
          measurements were wrong (did you adjust for temperature?) or you
          managed to selectively remove ethanol over water from your liquid
          (which seems unlikely).
          more info please; like quantities, method of use, time, yield.
          cheers
          rob.

          --- Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:

          > I am surprised that there was no response to my
          > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
          > Alex
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@...>
          >
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about the
          > same
          > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
          > >
          > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of spirit
          > @
          > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
          > >
          > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
          > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
          > > Alex

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • kirtgk
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
            was there any moisure in the carbon??
            did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not dry it completely??

            i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with it spread thin on
            paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon and got just a littel
            less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

            wrote:

            > I am surprised that there was no response to my
            > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
            > Alex
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about the
            > same
            > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
            > >
            > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of spirit @
            > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
            > >
            > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
            > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
            > > Alex

          • Alexander
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
              Ok, more info which may help.
              I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper pipe....reduced down to 12mm
              pipe, valved at the end.
              I have previously used the standard carbon which I was getting from
              the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then allow the ethanol
              at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per second.....or at a
              very slow drizzle.)
              I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear fluid) thru at a
              time.
              This has been very successful so far.
              However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to be striping the
              ethanol out.
              I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out on a tray to dry
              out a little, before placing the carbon into the tank.
              I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually do. After allowing
              all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss in actual liquid
              was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls.. However...the difference
              in ABV was approx 25%.
              It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
              I hope this helps.......
              I look fwd to reading the responses.
              Thanks
              Alex

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

              > was there any moisure in the carbon??
              > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not dry it completely??
              >
              > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with it spread thin on
              > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon and got just a
              littel
              > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <amr_services@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I am surprised that there was no response to my
              > > question,,,,c'mon......please give me some input?
              > > Alex
              > >

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
              <amr_services@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I recently bought some Carbon which is an extruded type, about
              the
              > > same
              > > > size granules as the usual carbon I got from the Home Brew shop.
              > > >
              > > > I was very surprised that, after putting through 2 litres of
              spirit @
              > > > 50%ABV, I ended up with 25% ABV
              > > >
              > > > Why did the carbon strip out the 25% of the Alcohol?
              > > > The smell and taste were both very good...very clean.
              > > > Alex

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
                did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
                washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
                filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
                that
                cheers

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                  a Kg of carbon will hold alot of liquid and appear dry.
                  I think what happened was you diluted your spirit with water. the
                  reason you got no more liquid is that some remained in the carbon.
                  ie:
                  water(in carbon)+ strong hooch(liquid) -> weak hooch(in carbon) +
                  liquid

                  cheers
                  rob.

                  --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
                  > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
                  > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
                  > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
                  > that
                  > cheers
                  > --- Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ok, more info which may help.
                  > > I have a filter tank, 100mm dia. copper
                  > > pipe....reduced down to 12mm
                  > > pipe, valved at the end.
                  > > I have previously used the standard carbon which I
                  > > was getting from
                  > > the homebrew shop. I put in 1kg into the tank, then
                  > > allow the ethanol
                  > > at 50% abv to drip thru....(approx 5 drops per
                  > > second.....or at a
                  > > very slow drizzle.)
                  > > I am able to put 5 litres of (natures finest clear
                  > > fluid) thru at a
                  > > time.
                  > > This has been very successful so far.
                  > > However, with this new carbon I got.....it sems to
                  > > be striping the
                  > > ethanol out.
                  > > I rinsed the carbon with water before spreading out
                  > > on a tray to dry
                  > > out a little, before placing the carbon into the
                  > > tank.
                  > > I put in the 5 litres of the spirit, as I usually
                  > > do. After allowing
                  > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
                  > > in actual liquid
                  > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
                  > > However...the difference
                  > > in ABV was approx 25%.
                  > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
                  > > I hope this helps.......
                  > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Alex
                  > >

                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
                  > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
                  > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
                  > > dry it completely??
                  > > >
                  > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
                  > > it spread thin on
                  > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
                  > > and got just a
                  > > littel
                  > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander"
                  > > <amr_services@>

                  > > input?

                  > > "Alexander"
                  > > <amr_services@>

                  > > extruded type, about
                  > > the
                  > > the Home Brew shop.

                  > > through 2 litres of
                  > > spirit @

                  > > Alcohol?
                  > > clean.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                    I was under the impression that one is supposed to dilute prior to carbon
                    filtering. Am I wrong there? My final product still comes out at
                    40%. blanikdog.

> [...]

                    > > all the spirit to pass thru the carbon.....The loss
                    > > in actual liquid
                    > > was negligible.....approx 50 to 100 mls..
                    > > However...the difference
                    > > in ABV was approx 25%.
                    > > It looked like the ethanol was being stripped out.
                    > > I hope this helps.......
                    > > I look fwd to reading the responses.
                    > > Thanks
                    > > Alex
                    > >

                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk"
                    > > <kirtgk@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > was there any moisure in the carbon??
                    > > > did you rinse the carbon to remove dust and not
                    > > dry it completely??
                    > > >
                    > > > i once rinsed mine and waiter about 4 hours with
                    > > it spread thin on
                    > > > paper. thought it was dry. i filtered one gallon
                    > > and got just a
                    > > littel
                    > > > less out but the percent was lowered quite a bit!

                    Cheers,
                    Rob.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

                    My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                    #american-pie on Starchat

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                      yup,
                      dilution to (near) drinking strength is advisable.
                      What carbon does is absorb molecules very roughly based on weight and
                      inversely proportional to thier solubility in water (or whatever the
                      solvent mixture is).
                      at high abv smelly stuff is well dissolved, but as you add more water
                      (to drinking strength) these become more likely to attach themselves to
                      the carbon.
                      So, bottom line, dilute, then C treat!
                      cheers
                      Rob.

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • sonum norbu
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Thanks Rob. :) blanikdog

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Thanks for the input so far....
                          However,
                          I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                          a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                          pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                          b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                          filtering process.
                          c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                          joking)...lol

                          I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                          Alex

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>

                          +
                          > > liquid
                          > >
                          > > cheers
                          > > rob.
                          > >
                          > > --- tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > Hi Alexander..I too have the same thing happening.I
                          > > > did everthing expected to the carbon "stone coal" I
                          > > > washed it , dried it.ect..I run 55% through brewhause
                          > > > filter,and it comes out 45%..thats 22%..so i allow for
                          > > > that
                          > > > cheers

                          > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          > > >

                          > > Cheers,
                          > > Rob.

                          > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          > >

                          > > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                          > >
                          > > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                          > > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                          > > #american-pie on Starchat
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > >

                          > Cheers,
                          > Rob.

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          >

                          > NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!
                          >
                          > My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                          > http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                          > #american-pie on Starchat
                          >
                          > --

                        • stevolate
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 4, 2006
                            Hi Alex
                            What was the carbon that you used originally for? You said it did not
                            come from a brew shop.
                            As Robert said in the second post did you check the temperature and %
                            before filtering? Then check the temperature and % again after filtering?
                            Were they the same temp?
                            It was also suggested that the carbon had a large amount of water in
                            it before you added the spirit. This replaced the water with spirit in
                            the carbon and diluted your spirit. With only 2 litres this is easily
                            possible if filtering through a large amount of carbon that had water
                            in it.
                            How much carbon did you use in your filter?
                            Now you know that the carbon is full of 25% ethanol you will on the
                            next run have to allow for dilution from the carbon. Eg 25% to 50%
                            next time it should only be 1/2 the difference. Test the % as it comes
                            out. If it gets stronger as it filters it is washing the liquid from
                            the carbon and once it has 50% ethanol in the carbon you will get no
                            drop of %.

                            Happy drinking

                            Stevo

                            > Thanks for the input so far....
                            > However,
                            > I am still not clear on what I should do.....
                            > a/ piss this new carbon off, and be ripped off by the brewshop and
                            > pay $20 per kilo for the carbon
                            > b/ dilute the 95% spirit to say...60% the put thru the carbon
                            > filtering process.
                            > c/ Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye...(only
                            > joking)...lol
                            >

                            > I guess I am stil not clear on why I lost approx 20% abv
                            > Alex
                          • Robert Thomas
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 5, 2006
                              After rinsing the carbon, dry it in the oven. You didn't lose the 20%
                              you diluted it with the water in your carbon. The rest is still in the
                              carbon.
                              rob.

                              === message truncated ===

                              Cheers,