RE: [new_distillers] new still

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 4, 2002
      George,

      > I read on Mother Earth News that for a packed column it should be 24
      > times the diameter. That was a long time ago and the spec's could have
      > changed by now.

      thats a basic rule of thumb to get your design into the right ball park.
      But if you go through the details (see
      http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm ), the height and the diameter
      are almost independant of each other.

      You set the diameter to be wide enough to handle the amount of liquid &
      vapour you expect to generate. This is purely a matter of how much heat
      you put into the unit.

      The height will determine the purity - every XX inches/cm of packing will
      do the same job as a seperate distillation in a pot still. For stainless
      steel scrubbers its about 12cm. So if you have a 120mm column it will do
      the equivalent of 10 redistillations whilst using that height (provided you
      have sufficent reflux happening). Each redistillation, or HETP, will
      therefore give you greater purity. So the height is your call, based on
      how pure you want your distillate.

      Note that neither of them are affected by how large a volume the boiler/pot
      is. You can put the same column from a 5L pot onto a 100L pot, if they
      both have the same sized heat element (and both were well insulated to
      avoid heat losses). The pot size only affects how long it will take to
      heat up to distilling temperature.

      By the way - Keith has the Mother Earth alcohol fuel manual at
      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/meToC.html
      and the The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel by S.W.
      Mathewson at
      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual_ToC.html

      both of which are an excellent read.

      Tony
    • Jim Graves
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 1, 2013
        I have used it both ways, today I ran the last of 55 gallons of UJSM and did it in my reflux still with the valve fully open.  I got almost two gallons out of 12 gallons of distillate.  It went from 70 down to 30 when I cut it off.  All mixed together it comes out at about 45% and it tastes great!  Made apple pie out of it and and it is very nice!

        James D. Graves
        Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
        251-533-8569