RE: [new_distillers] new still

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 4, 2002
      Dkorbo,

      > I am building a new stainless steel still.There are a few problems
      > though. The boiler is 60L SS beer keg and the tower is 2 inch pipe.
      > The problem is the pipe it is only 3 feet long, is that long enuff.
      > I am planing on using copper pot scrubbers up to about 2 1/2 feet,but
      > am not sure if the tower can handle the volume form the boiler.If
      > anyone can help it would be nice.
      > Other than that I am using 2 3000w elements to heat on 220v

      You may only want to use one of the elements while distilling. Two will be
      nice to help with the heat-up, but once its making vapour, switch back to
      one. A 2" column is only good up to about 3.2 kW or thereabouts.

      If you try it with 6kW, it is likely it will "flood" the column - there
      will be so much liquid and vapour trying to use the same space that rather
      than dripping back down through the packing, the refluxing liquid will
      instead be forced out the top. It will splutter and cough, you'll get
      pressure building up in the boiler, and the purity will be crap.

      To use all 6kW, you'd need a diameter more like 2.75 to 3 inch

      3 foot is about right for purity around 94% or so.

      Tony
    • Jim Graves
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 1, 2013
        I have used it both ways, today I ran the last of 55 gallons of UJSM and did it in my reflux still with the valve fully open.  I got almost two gallons out of 12 gallons of distillate.  It went from 70 down to 30 when I cut it off.  All mixed together it comes out at about 45% and it tastes great!  Made apple pie out of it and and it is very nice!

        James D. Graves
        Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
        251-533-8569