shut off valve

  • nedmolecarp
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2006
      Is a shut off valve needed at the worm ? on a reflux still.
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2006
        Yes.

        Normally, a reflux still does not have a "worm" in the usual sense. In a reflux still, the "steam" passes up the column, condenses back into liquid when cooled at the top and passes back down the column where it mixes with new steam coming up (simplified description). This refluxing can go on for an hour or more - depending on how pure and strong you want your eventual product. If you do not shut something off, no refluxing will occur and the rising steam will condense and run into your collection vessels.

        (I have the flu and trying to simplify this response. Think I need to try some of my product).

        Regards,

        Bwyze

        nedmolecarp <nedmolecarp@...> wrote:
        Is a shut off valve needed at the worm ? on a reflux still.

      • warramungas
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nedmolecarp" <nedmolecarp@...>
          wrote:

          > Is a shut off valve needed at the worm ? on a reflux still.

          Nope.
          Not for the cooling water unless you want to use it to regulate the
          amount going to seperate parts of your still as in a mutiple cooler
          arrangement.