condenser 90* fitting

  • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
      I am putting together the Nixon-Stone type still and am wondering about the
      spot where the needle valve is attached. I am planning on attaching it
      throught the 90* fitting and the pipe inside as described. However, do you
      need a small solder bead/weld just to the column side of the valve hole to
      help direct the juice? I have notice some NS designs have a tee instead of
      the the 90 under the condenser. Then reduce the bottom opening of the tee
      down and have the valve located there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be
      great
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        >I have notice some NS designs have a tee instead of
        > the the 90 under the condenser. Then reduce the bottom opening of the
        tee
        > down and have the valve located there.

        I use a "T" instead of an elbow. The only disadvantage is that it holds
        30-40 mL of liquid, which means that when the column is in total reflux,
        I'm not certain if that material is returning back to the column then, or
        just sitting as a dead pool. The only downside is then that my heads might
        be say 30 mL larger than otherwise - not a huge problem.

        On the otherhand, when the valve is fully open to do a stripping run, I
        know that I've got pretty good capture, and can just about guarantee zero
        reflux.

        Tony
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
          Brian,
          I recently built a 1 1/2" copper Nixon-Stone collumn (cactus style) and for
          the needle valve I drilled a lightly larger hole about 1/2" from the end of
          the 90 degree fitting and an even larger hole in the pipe that fits into the
          90. I flared one end of a 1 1/2" long piece of 1/4" copper tube to fit
          through the two holes. I had to do a bit of filing to get the angle of the
          holes to match the flare. Then I had a friend (with a glove) hole the 1/2"
          tube while I soldered it at an angle so that the flared side nearest the
          collumn stuck up a bit and the condencer side was slightly below the inside
          of the tube. I figured that this would catch the candensed spirits as they
          trickled down. It works fine.
          Aloha, Cole

          > I am putting together the Nixon-Stone type still and am wondering about the
          > spot where the needle valve is attached. I am planning on attaching it
          > throught the 90* fitting and the pipe inside as described. However, do you
          > need a small solder bead/weld just to the column side of the valve hole to
          > help direct the juice? I have notice some NS designs have a tee instead of
          > the the 90 under the condenser. Then reduce the bottom opening of the tee
          > down and have the valve located there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be
          > great

        • CornFed15
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
            The main thing to keep in mind for this opening is to be double sure that it will be located in the lowest portion of the tubing when it is in the normal operating position. (think: measure twice, cut once)  If you miss the mark even slightly, when drilling your hole, you will not be collecting the volume that would be possible if it was correct.

            I found that there were casting marks on the copper "T" fitting that correspond to centerline. I used them to determine where the hole should be.  Then you have to ensure that you solder your fitting square to the entire column or it will not be lined up correctly. The easiest way for me was to assemble the pieces and lay it flat on a bench.  Then do your permanent assembly.

            If you use a cross fitting or large discharge tube below the condensor section, then you are defeating the efficient reflux aspect of the design unless you install additional plumbing to return the reflux to your packing section.

            ----------------------------
            Then I had a friend (with a glove) hole the 1/2"
            > tube while I soldered it at an angle so that the flared side
            nearest the
            > collumn stuck up a bit and the condencer side was slightly
            below the inside
            > of the tube. I figured that this would catch the
            candensed spirits as they
            > trickled down. It works fine.
            > Aloha,
            Cole