deflector plate at top of column

  • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
      I am building a new still and am at the point of putting the tee in the main
      column to go to the condenser. I have noticed several folks have a small
      plate or tounge at the tee sticking out into the main column so the reflux
      will go down the middle of the column. Question is how do you attach. I
      have not had any luck trying to solder...may keep trying. Would something
      like JB Weld work and would that be safe?
    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        Brian.
        The "T" on that end should be orientated so that one open end is
        pointed straight up. Then assemble the end cap but do not solder it
        into place. This will allow for easy back flushing and cleaning of
        the packing. A task you should do after every use.

        The deflector for reflux does not need to be vapor or water tight as
        it is inside the column. If you construct something that can be
        inserted internally and can be removed from the column easily, you
        will not need to disassemble the column if you decide to add or
        remove packing for maintenance or cleaning. I would suggest
        something made out of brass or copper. But it could be stainless
        steel also. Stay well clear of anything galvanized. Black pipe
        scales and rusts very fast. You should consider this before using
        it. A washer with a reduced diameter of the column slightly dished
        to form a shallow funnel and soldered to something slightly flexible
        to hug the sidewalls and generate a light contact compression fit
        with the column is one idea that comes to mind.

        As far as adhesives go: I would not recommend any of them that I have
        tried. I have tried JB weld and Harveys epoxy plumbers putty and
        various clear 2 part epoxy adhesives with less than impressive
        results. Ethanol, in vapor form, at high temperature is not a
        friendly atmosphere to many substances. Many adhesives are not
        designed for use above a certain temperature also. When they fail,
        they tend to disintegrate into many small flakes of crap that get
        into everything from discharge tubes to packing and also impart a
        flavor to your product that is not vodka. So any solution besides
        glue is a better solution.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Brian Shell - BDS (SC)" <bds@d...>
        wrote: several folks have a small
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          Thanks, I didn't think about the cleaning aspect. I think I will take a
          piece of sheet stainless and make a circle then rivet together at the top
          and cut at an angle. This will get me at tube cut at a slant that I can
          just slide inside the tee. Thanks.