Nasty smelling mash

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
      I just got done fermenting a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
      yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened it
      up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more like my
      old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush here,
      IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are a
      few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out. If my
      mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i distill
      it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went wrong?

      -Tyler
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
        wrote:

        > I just got done fermenting a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
        > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i
        opened it
        > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
        like my
        > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
        here,
        > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
        > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
        If my
        > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
        distill
        > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
        wrong?

        > -Tyler

        Did you cook the corn?

      • donald holcombe

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
            Yes harry, i cooked the corn. I boiled it for about an hour, let it
            cool to 150f, added beano, waited and hour, and cooled it to about
            80f and added yeast. I know, i probably should have let it sit all
            night to cool and let the beano do its job, then added the yeast in
            the morning. I'll let you all know what it smells/tastes like after
            the distillation

            -Tyler

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
            <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

            > I think youve stumbled upon the proverbial No Cook Sour Mash !
            Still it and watch how you cut it. If it smells bad , Run it twice.
            Make your cuts a little early or mix it with a new batch. Next batch
            Cook the corn to 195F then cool and add the beano at 150 .Let it mash
            overnight then add the yeast.

            > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
            a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
            > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
            it
            > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
            like my
            > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
            here,
            > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
            > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
            If my
            > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
            distill
            > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
            wrong?

            > -Tyler

          • donald holcombe

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
                Just to update you all on what happened, or didn't happen. I filtered
                out all the corn from my mash, and then tried to distill it. It went
                fron 0 to 208 with no stopping in between. So i'm guessing that means
                no alcohol. Either the beano didn't work, or i got an infection, or
                my airlock didn't work. It has an SG of about 1.000. So i either made
                corn water, or i made vinager, which might explain that nasty smell.
                Granted, no mash is ever going to smell good, but this one makes me
                want to puke. I guess next time i'll let the beano work over night
                and see if that makes a difference.

                <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                > Just a note after reading your reply to Harry. You are not making
                Perfume here.! This stuff depending on the recipe can be REAL NASTY !
                Most of my high corn mashes are not too nice. Dip the liquid out and
                still it . then make a thin sugar msh and throw in on top the nasty
                mash. let it work and run it. Make your cuts early so the smell
                doesnt get out of the still. Your recipe sounds OK. Bicarb and
                rerun ? Plenty of carbon ? Work with it !

                > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                it
                > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                like my
                > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                here,
                > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                If my
                > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                distill
                > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                wrong?

                > -Tyler

              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
                  ? Questions , Water source ? Cleanliness of fermentor, You did say you used sugar.? 1.0 is a good final SG. What was the begining SG. If you smell vinegar the bacteria was eating the alcohol. Cook corn then add water stir to aeriate before the ferment. Add some lemon juice next time 1 tabsp/ gal. Covered or sealed fermentor. TRY AGAIN you can do IT.

                  tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Just to update you all on what happened, or didn't happen. I filtered

                  <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                  > Just a note after reading your reply to Harry. You are not making
                  Perfume here.! This stuff depending on the recipe can be REAL NASTY !
                  Most of my high corn mashes are not too nice. Dip the liquid out and
                  still it . then make a thin sugar msh and throw in on top the nasty
                  mash. let it work and run it. Make your cuts early so the smell
                  doesnt get out of the still. Your recipe sounds OK. Bicarb and
                  rerun ? Plenty of carbon ? Work with it !

                  > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                  a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                  > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                  it
                  > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                  like my
                  > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                  here,
                  > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                  > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                  If my
                  > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                  distill
                  > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                  wrong?

                  > -Tyler

                • donald holcombe

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
                      I have 2 days to distill it after it stops bubbling? This is why i
                      asked everyone how long i could wait. I keep getting answer of people
                      saying "i've waited a month", "i've waited 3 months". Maybe thats
                      only if you use sugar.

                      Before i screw up another batch, lets go over this. If i boil 1
                      gallon of corn for an hour, and add it to 5 gallons of water (well
                      water, not city water), wait for the temp to drop to 160-150 degrees
                      to add my beano (5 tablets), let it sit over night, then in the
                      morning add at 5 tbsp of lemon juice and some bakers yeast, does this
                      sound right? I would use malt, but i don't have a local store that
                      sells it, so i'm using beano. In the morning i will test the mash to
                      see what the SG is. Hopefully i can go on the SG reading and not have
                      to taste it to see if it is sweet.

                      Does this sound like a good method? Should i use more or less of
                      something? Should i do anything different?

                      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                      > If you didnt use sugar you got about 2 days after bubbling stops to
                      still before bad things start.

                      > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                      a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                      > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                      it
                      > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                      like my
                      > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                      here,
                      > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                      > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                      If my
                      > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                      distill
                      > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                      wrong?

                      > -Tyler

                    • donald holcombe
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                        If the alcahal level is high enough it will keep IE + sugar. A pure corn mash is not usually very high, 4-5%.Like beer. Sugar gets it up to wine levels 10-12% +. Cleanliness is critical when storing more than a few days.

                        tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I have 2 days to distill it after it stops bubbling? This is why i

                        <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                        > If you didnt use sugar you got about 2 days after bubbling stops to
                        still before bad things start.

                        > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                        a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                        > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                        it
                        > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                        like my
                        > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                        here,
                        > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                        > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                        If my
                        > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                        distill
                        > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                        wrong?

                        > -Tyler

                      • Andrew Bugal
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                          I think your comments are a little unfair by saying that you asked everyone else what to do and got different answers.

                          You must be aware that nobody was looking over your shoulder and keeping track of everything you did or did not do.

                          If all you did was waste a batch but got some valuable knowledge, you are OK. We have all screwed up at one time or another and at times before this site was available. Hobby distilling is an elective hobby. We all approach it differently but somehow get the same results. Experiment and learn

                          Regards,

                          Bwyze

                          <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                          > If you didnt use sugar you got about 2 days after bubbling stops to
                          still before bad things start.

                          > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                          a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                          > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                          it
                          > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                          like my
                          > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                          here,
                          > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                          > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                          If my
                          > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                          distill
                          > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                          wrong?

                          > -Tyler

                        • waljaco
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                            Beano will not provide all the necessary enzymes - it is only for some
                            of the unfermentables. You can sprout the grain to get 'green malt' as
                            practiced by the moonshiners!
                            wal
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                            > I have 2 days to distill it after it stops bubbling? This is why i
                            > asked everyone how long i could wait. I keep getting answer of people
                            > saying "i've waited a month", "i've waited 3 months". Maybe thats
                            > only if you use sugar.
                            >
                            > Before i screw up another batch, lets go over this. If i boil 1
                            > gallon of corn for an hour, and add it to 5 gallons of water (well
                            > water, not city water), wait for the temp to drop to 160-150 degrees
                            > to add my beano (5 tablets), let it sit over night, then in the
                            > morning add at 5 tbsp of lemon juice and some bakers yeast, does this
                            > sound right? I would use malt, but i don't have a local store that
                            > sells it, so i'm using beano. In the morning i will test the mash to
                            > see what the SG is. Hopefully i can go on the SG reading and not have
                            > to taste it to see if it is sweet.
                            >
                            > Does this sound like a good method? Should i use more or less of
                            > something? Should i do anything different?
                            >
                            > -Tyler
                            >

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                            > <blackledge_02@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > If you didnt use sugar you got about 2 days after bubbling stops to
                            > still before bad things start.
                            > >
                            > > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                            > a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                            > > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i opened
                            > it
                            > > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                            > like my
                            > > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                            > here,
                            > > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There are
                            > > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                            > If my
                            > > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                            > distill
                            > > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went
                            > wrong?
                            > >
                            > > -Tyler

                          • tyler_97355
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                              I'm sorry, you are right, it was unfair for me to get on and complain
                              like that. I was just frustrated and didn't realize that there was a
                              difference on how long you could let it set depending on if it is
                              sugar or grain. I do appreciate all of the help that i have received
                              about this the past few days.

                              -Tyler

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...>
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > still before bad things start.
                              > >
                              > > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@> wrote: I just got done fermenting
                              > a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                              > > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i
                              opened
                              > it
                              > > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                              > like my
                              > > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the bush
                              > here,
                              > > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There
                              are
                              > > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them out.
                              > If my
                              > > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                              > distill
                              > > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have went

                            • tyler_97355
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                                With cracked corn, i think sprouting it would not be possible. But i
                                think i must agree that i need malt or something else to convert the
                                startch. With an SG of 1.020 this morning, i decided to throw 5
                                pounds of sugar in. I guess thats about all i can do for my whisky
                                recipe, until i get some malt. Its still warm, so i'm letting it cool
                                down to 75-80 degrees befor i toss in the yeast (and lemon juice).
                                I'll let you all know what happens.

                                -Tyler

                                > Beano will not provide all the necessary enzymes - it is only for
                                some
                                > of the unfermentables. You can sprout the grain to get 'green malt'
                                as
                                > practiced by the moonshiners!
                                > wal
                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@>
                                wrote:

                                > > I have 2 days to distill it after it stops bubbling? This is why
                                > > asked everyone how long i could wait. I keep getting answer of
                                people
                                > > saying "i've waited a month", "i've waited 3 months". Maybe thats
                                > > only if you use sugar.
                                > >
                                > > Before i screw up another batch, lets go over this. If i boil 1
                                > > gallon of corn for an hour, and add it to 5 gallons of water
                                (well
                                > > water, not city water), wait for the temp to drop to 160-150
                                degrees
                                > > to add my beano (5 tablets), let it sit over night, then in the
                                > > morning add at 5 tbsp of lemon juice and some bakers yeast, does
                                this
                                > > sound right? I would use malt, but i don't have a local store
                                that
                                > > sells it, so i'm using beano. In the morning i will test the mash
                                > > see what the SG is. Hopefully i can go on the SG reading and not
                                have
                                > > to taste it to see if it is sweet.
                                > >
                                > > Does this sound like a good method? Should i use more or less of
                                > > something? Should i do anything different?
                                > >
                                > > -Tyler
                                > >

                                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                > > <blackledge_02@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > If you didnt use sugar you got about 2 days after bubbling
                                stops to
                                > > still before bad things start.
                                > > >
                                > > > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@> wrote: I just got done
                                fermenting
                                > > a mash a made with cracked corn, bakers
                                > > > yeast, and beano. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. When i
                                opened
                                > > it
                                > > > up today to strain out the corn and distill it, it smelled more
                                > > like my
                                > > > old shoes and not like corn whisky. Lets not beat around the
                                bush
                                > > here,
                                > > > IT SMELLS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see any mold in there. There
                                are
                                > > > few grains that are floating, maybe i should have taken them
                                out.
                                > > If my
                                > > > mash smells this bad, what is it going to taste like after i
                                > > distill
                                > > > it? Should i just turn this one into vodka? What could have
                                went
                                > > wrong?
                                > > >
                                > > > -Tyler

                              • Tony Turner
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                                  No Big deal Tyler. We all tend to do things a bit differently and end up with pretty much the same results. That's the reason you sometimes get so many different answers.

                                  I have held a Corn mash for over a month but it had added sugar so the alcohol content was up arounf 15 to 16%. BTW! It cleared nicely in that month kinda like my wines do. I've held sugar wash for several months without a problem but I keep the air lock on and I put it in a cooler room.

                                  I'm fanatical about keeping everything clean and sanatized. I also watch to make sure I don't expose the mash to any more air than I have to.

                                  Good luck and hang in there man ---- it's all good.

                                  Later,
                                  Tony T

                                  tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: I'm sorry, you are right, it was unfair for me to get on and complain

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                                    Tyler,
                                    Some of the old guys I talked to this weekend said they mad their own malt. One guy said he would put 10 lbs of corn in a pillow case and wet it down with warm water and them hang it over a wash tub in a warm dark place until it sprouted. He said it would take two weeks (I would think it would sprout sooner than that). Anyway, whe the sprouts were a 1/4 to 1/2" or so long he would wash the corn in a tub of water and rub the corn between his hands to rub the sprouts and roots off. The he would take an axe handle and mash the corn really well. Next he would pour 5 gallons of boiling water over the mash and wait for it to cool. Once cool he pitched his yeast, covered and put on an air lock and let it ferment until it stopped bubbling. Please keep in mind that I have never tried this but my brother-in-law said that this guy had been making it for 30 years and his father before him. I had a taste of the stuff and it was pretty good but it hadn't aged at all nor do they age
                                    theirs (they like it like that. "white dog" is what they call it).

                                    I have another way to malt corn that I found this weekend and I intend to try it at least once just to see if I can do it. If you are interested I'll share it with you.

                                    Gotta get back at it.

                                    Later,
                                    Tony T

                                    tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: With cracked corn, i think sprouting it would not be possible. But i

                                    --

                                    Recent Activity

                                    14
                                    New Members

                                    6
                                    New Photos

                                    Visit Your Group

                                    Corporate culture
                                    Corporate culture change
                                    Tissue culture
                                    Plant tissue culture

                                    Yahoo! TV
                                    Staying in tonight?
                                    Check listings to
                                    see what is on.

                                    New business?
                                    Get new customers.
                                    List your web site
                                    in Yahoo! Search.

                                    Y! GeoCities
                                    Share Photos
                                    Put your favorite
                                    photos online.

                                    .

                                  • Robert Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                                      Tony,
                                      that sounds pretty reasonable. the only thing I would watch is the
                                      temperature of the sack of sprouting grain. Too high and you destroy
                                      enzymes. I guess it was cold outside when pops did it. Or he had lots
                                      of free corn.
                                      cheers
                                      Rob.

                                      Cheers,