Re: Watts...watts that?

  • cartierusm2004
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2006
      Thanks for the help. I thought I could use a multimeter to use it
      like a digital readout to turn the dial to read the amps or watts.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Smith <tony9812001@...>
      wrote:

      > In order to measure power in watts you have three options.
      >
      > 1) Power = Voltage multiplied by Current
      >
      > 2) Power = Voltage squared divided by Resistance
      >
      > 3) Power = Current squared multiplied by Resistance.
      >
      > So you could setup a current meter and a voltmeter, take
      measurements and multiply the readings to get your power readings.

      > I would calculate the resistance of the heating element myself.
      >
      > P = VxV/R transposes to R = VxV/ P
      >
      > i.e. 1500 Watt element at 120 Volts would give 9.6 ohms.
      >
      > (120 x 120)/1500 = 9.6
      >
      > So by taking voltage readings you could make up a table of dial
      markings which could then be correlated to power settings.

      > i.e.
      >
      > 80 Volts would be (80 x 80)/9.6 = 667 watts at some dial
      setting

      > 90 Volts would be (90 x 90)/9.6 = 844 watts at the next dial
      setting

      > And if you want specific power settings, just calculate the
      voltage you need to produce that power setting and record the dial
      setting for that particular reading.

      > i.e. A setting to reduce to after the solution gets up to the
      temp you are targeting.

      > Have fun!
      >
      > Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
      > I'm not sure you can measure watts; only volts and amps.
      > However, an other solution might be to replace the dial nob.
      > You (that is I) can get dial nobs that replace the original with a
      > multiturn per original turn mechanism, so it takes lots more
      twiddling
      > for the same effect. They appear to be geared somehow inside.
      > I have no idea what they are called, try browsing you favorite
      > electrical/electronic catalogue for "dial multi-turn' or some such.
      > cheers
      > Rob.
      >
      > --- cartierusm2004 <htcustom@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I appreciate the response but I was looking for a way to measure
      the
      > > amount of watts the element is drawing based on where my variac
      was.
      > > My variable transformer is just a modified router speed control
      and
      > > has marks on the dial and I know where optimal is BUT when the
      still
      > > is first starting to make alcohol the slightest hair movement of
      the
      > > dial affects the temp, so if I could monitor the watts on a
      > > multimeter or the like I would be able to be a little more
      accurate.
      > > I thought I read on here people were monitoring watts with a
      > > multimeter, maybe I was mistaken.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi
      > > > I drilled a small hole through the dial on the triac and
      pushed a
      > > SS
      > > > 3" long rod in it. On the box I marked out a large circle and
      > > marked
      > > > in increments, which I numbered. Then I experimented to see
      how it
      > > > boiled at different settings, always recording my settings.
      Now I