Re: Proper Mash

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
      There are various grain bills. This produces a grain spirit which is
      basically a vodka. Most of the caharacter of Bourbon is from the
      oaking (and maple charcoal filtering).
      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Turner <tonkyman1979@...>
      wrote:

      > I come back to my question from last night. What is the proper way
      to make a quality mash??

      > When I started trying to make a Bourbon "type" spirit I searched
      this group and the distillers group and Homedistiller.org for a recipe
      ..... there are very few. I settled on the "Corn Whiskey" recipe from
      this groups "Files" section. That recipe has you boil the grain for a
      couple of hours, cool it then add the malt barley or malt wheat which
      I assume converts the starch in the corn to simple sugars. Then you
      pitch yeast and let it go. I get a very nice tasting product with this
      method and in the mash bucket it smells exactly like what I want but
      I'm not carrying it over to the finished spirit (but that was another
      topic).

      > This is the only way I really know how to do it so I appreciate
      anyone that would share with me the proper way to do an all grain mash
      the correct way. I would love to know the grain bill and mashing
      technique for a 5 gallon batch (in detail so I can learn the correct
      way). Please keep in mind that I'm after a Bourbon "type" spirit with
      a deep flavor.

      > I want to learn how to make a quality product, not just make swill.
      I could buy all the bourbon I could possibly want to drink if it was
      just about drinking ----- it's not. I love the craft and skill one
      would need to acquire to make high end, top shelf product. I love a
      hobby where you can put in the extra effort and then walk away with
      something better than you could buy and that's why I distill (or at
      least try to distill).

      > You guys are my source for information because I don't know anyone
      locally that can mentor me and teach me. I read alot but there is so
      much conflicting information out there. I trust this site mostly
      because Harry is a top notch site admin and he has the experience and
      credibility to keep the group on track and not allow someone to
      intentionally mis-lead those they are trying to help. Thanks Harry for
      being the balance and putting up with our attitudes.