Re: [new_distillers] Almost finished, but which mash/yeast?

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
      Make the batch like the instructions say and if its too much split the batch and run it in two sessions .

      dreamofgilgamesh <dreamofgilgamesh@...> wrote: Dear Group, i've almost finished my valved reflux still, just the
      soldering to do then give it a test and clean up!

      Now then, my boiler will hold 25ltrs max but i figured i'd be better
      filling it to 20ltrs to allow a bit more head room so to speak.

      So, which type of yeast would be best for me to use to make a 20ltr
      mash with a alcohol content of somewhere between 14 and 16%. I'm
      limited on choice really but i was considering a turbo 48 yeast. The
      blurb on the advert says it makes 25ltrs. So, would it ferment out if
      i made 20ltrs instead of 25, or would i need to reduce the amount of
      sugar. And, if i did use 20ltrs of water would i get 20ltrs of mash,
      or does it somehow "grow" into more due to the sugar, bit confused on
      that one!

      All advice gratefully received.