charcoal

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
      Hello all,
      I am in need of immediate advice on how to prepare charcoal from chunk
      hard-wood charcoal. I have and am still running some hard cider thru the
      reflux column, intend to run it thru again, and then smooth it thru
      charcoal.
      The local brewstore does not carry charcoal. However, I have a bag of
      unadulterated chunk hardwood charcoal downstairs. How do I prepare that?
      Many thanks,
      John V / Nova Scotia
    • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
          Others may or may not support me John - but my advise is please don't do it.
          I think that you have the wrong carbon on hand and it could ruin your
          wonderful efforts. But please wait for other input before you use it! Ian

        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
            DON'T- all the effort to get a nice cider brandy would be ruined by stripping
            out the flavor with the charcoal- it's too unpredictable in it's absorbing
            effect to be used on anything other than (strongly flavored) bourbon. If you
            want to soften the solvent nose on a brandy, just run it through a Brita
            sport bottle filter (attached to a 2-liter soda bottle). It won't damage the
            flavor, but it will help with any sharp smells.
          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2002
              Hello Jan
              A trip to Holland must be a major undertaking from your part of the world. Do
              you fly west, via India? Oddly, for us to fly to Holland is faster than going
              the other way to fly to my sister-in-law in Victoria on Canada's west coast.

              As for charcoal - yes, you're probably right about conserving it.

              > I use quite a bit of carbon. I carbon filter my finished 40% spirit 3 times
              > before i am totally satisfied. The end product is 100%A1.
              > I also distill twice.The first time i only strip all the alcohol out of the
              > wash.The second time i am real fussy to keep the proper stuff.

              My biggest problem right now is discerning the proper cutoffs between heads and
              middle run, and again detecting onset of tails - in simple sugar washes. I may
              set up a dozen small jars, the next time, to collect the distillate in sequence,
              and then do sniff/taste tests during and after. Hopefully that will improve
              with time. My favorite daily all-weather drink is a dry martini, and I have
              hopes of at least producing a good clean vodka. My problem is producing that
              vodka.

              > I made up a 316 stainless (OF COURSE) filter system that holds 5 litres and
              > use about 1/2 teacup of carbon.
              > To filter and polish the 5 litres takes about 12 hours and i repeat this
              > procedure two times more before i am totally satisfied.
              > Then i add vodka essence as a smoothing agent and leave it all mature for
              > about 2 months.

              You leave it mature in glass? I probably use the same polish routine. Sofar
              (remmber that I have only been distilling for 4 weeks / about 4 or 5 batches) I
              collect my distillate in glass Mason jars, add a tablspoon of activated
              charcoal, and turn or slosh the jar/s at least 3x daily. Ther is a noticeable
              change in fragrance after a week.

              Regards, John V / Nova Scotia