copper scrubbers changed colour

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
      i wanted to give my scrubbers a good clean before using them. i put
      them in a pressure cooker with a small bit of washing up liquid and
      half filled with water. i cooked for a 1/2 hour. the bits of
      scrubbers which werent completely submerged turned a grey/blue
      colour. why is this? are they ok to use?
    • Geoff Redman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
        Hi Peter

        I didn't notice any responses to your question, so I'll suggest that you
        check out the following link for more info on copper:

        http://www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm

        I expect that your scrubbers oxidized in the moist environment in your
        pressure cooker or maybe reacted with the cleaning agent. I don't know if
        grey/blue copper in the boiler and column could transfer to impurity in the
        distillate. But for sure, I wouldn't use grey/blue copper in the
        condensor/collection part of the still. Basically, you don't want to take
        any chance of ingesting or inhaling the grey/blue stuff, right? I always
        keep my stainless steel and copper shiny by soaking/cleaning with vinegar,
        rinsing with water and drying.

        geoff

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2002
          thanks geoff,
          i have left them soaking in water and they look a bit better now. i
          will try some vinegar and if it doesnt work ill just cut the bad bits
          off.