RE: [new_distillers] flushing the tower

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      Cole,

      Most likely that it was sulphides reacting with the copper (this is how
      copper "removes" sulphur from the vapour). Better to flush it out with
      regular cleaning, than not form it and have nasty tasting distillate.

      Tony
    • moonshiyner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
        <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
        > Cole,
        >
        > Most likely that it was sulphides reacting with the copper (this is
        how
        > copper "removes" sulphur from the vapour).

        G'day all
        Dont know if this is the same subject but....
        Tonight I put a brew through and noticed when i got to around 82ish
        deg I was getting a bloody strong sulphur smell
        I sterilise with sodium metab (sulphur dioxide)but always rinse after.
        this last brew i used a different brand,can this stuff carry over?

        Anyway, I took 4.9L @ 84% (uncorrected) from a SS Reflux with the
        marble still in but with a stainless scrubber in the head.
        I've had an extention built for it but wanted to compere the
        difference between the last brew (when I used it) and this one.
        I dunno but the distillate started coming over at 79 deg and I
        stopped keeping the good stuff at 85 deg. The temp shot to 93 deg
        gaining another 500mls which will go into the tails pot.

        Doug