flushing the tower

  • colemaui
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      After distilling my first wash I ran hot water through the tower and
      an amazing amount of nastyness came out. I did flush the tower
      (copper scrubbers and all) before I did a test run with water so I
      thought it would be fairly clean, but all this blackish gunk came
      out after the first wash went through. Is that how its supposed to
      be? The distillate I collected was a solid 94% and crystal clear.
      The wash was a clear urine color. Where did the black stuff
      come from? Some kind of chemical reaction with the copper
      tower or scrubbers?

      Aloha, Cole
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
        Cole,

        Most likely that it was sulphides reacting with the copper (this is how
        copper "removes" sulphur from the vapour). Better to flush it out with
        regular cleaning, than not form it and have nasty tasting distillate.

        Tony
      • moonshiyner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
          <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
          > Cole,
          >
          > Most likely that it was sulphides reacting with the copper (this is
          how
          > copper "removes" sulphur from the vapour).

          G'day all
          Dont know if this is the same subject but....
          Tonight I put a brew through and noticed when i got to around 82ish
          deg I was getting a bloody strong sulphur smell
          I sterilise with sodium metab (sulphur dioxide)but always rinse after.
          this last brew i used a different brand,can this stuff carry over?

          Anyway, I took 4.9L @ 84% (uncorrected) from a SS Reflux with the
          marble still in but with a stainless scrubber in the head.
          I've had an extention built for it but wanted to compere the
          difference between the last brew (when I used it) and this one.
          I dunno but the distillate started coming over at 79 deg and I
          stopped keeping the good stuff at 85 deg. The temp shot to 93 deg
          gaining another 500mls which will go into the tails pot.

          Doug