Filteration diversity

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
      I have seen vodkas claiming to be filtered through lava rock,
      limestone, and other weird things. Does this really work? Why use it?
      Is it an effective way of filtering your finished product, or does it
      just leave a trace of flavor in the product. Where would you even get
      limestone or lava rock for filtration?

      -Tyler
    • Jan Wouter
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
        I've know of lava rock being used in aquarium filters. The big surface of
        the stones works great for biologocal filtering. However, when you use it
        with alcohol you kill all the bacteria that do the work, so I don't see how
        that works.
        Maybe somebody else who can say something sensible?
        Jan Wouter

        2006/9/6, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...>:

        > I have seen vodkas claiming to be filtered through lava rock,
        > limestone, and other weird things. Does this really work? Why use it?
        > Is it an effective way of filtering your finished product, or does it
        > just leave a trace of flavor in the product. Where would you even get
        > limestone or lava rock for filtration?
        >
        > -Tyler

      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
          Bacteria that does the work with 95% ABV product? What bacteria?

          As far as filtering, Lava rock, limestone or carbon - I guess one uses what one has available - and for the same reason namely to removes the nasties.

          Bwyze

          2006/9/6, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...>:

          > I have seen vodkas claiming to be filtered through lava rock,
          > limestone, and other weird things. Does this really work? Why use it?
          > Is it an effective way of filtering your finished product, or does it
          > just leave a trace of flavor in the product. Where would you even get
          > limestone or lava rock for filtration?
          >
          > -Tyler

        • tyler_97355
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
            I just didn't think that limestone or lava rock would have the same
            effect that activated carbon would. Lava rock has big pores that in
            my opinion wouldn't wouldn't trap much of anything. I don't even know
            if limestone has much of anything that would help. Carbon is
            activated with steam, heat, and oxygen, its engineered to have
            thousands of pores to absorb flavors, odors and that kind of stuff. I
            just don't see why they use lava or limestone. Maybe its just a
            novelty.

            -Tyler

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...>