Column Windows?

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
      I have seen some commercial distillery columns that have windows. I
      just want to know why? You would think that they would be all steamed
      up most of the time. And what would you be looking for through the
      windows?

      -Tyler
    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
        Ciao Tyler.

        How, otherwise, check how, when, how much reflux?

        And, the last but not the least, human being is a little bit curious
        and it's so fascinating to watch what's hannening inside ....

        Ciao a tutti
        da

        micio felice

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
          <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

          > Ciao Tyler.
          >
          > How, otherwise, check how, when, how much reflux?
          >
          > And, the last but not the least, human being is a little bit curious
          > and it's so fascinating to watch what's hannening inside ....
          >
          > Ciao a tutti
          > da
          >
          > micio felice

          It's more than that. Portholes allow for visual inspection of the
          bubble trays to see how much fouling has accumulated. Calcium
          deposits just a few millimetres thick on the edge of the sieve holes
          can reduce the performance of the tower by 30%. Some of the larger
          towers/columns have the portholes removable as manways for maintenance
          work. The smaller columns usually run a chemical de-scaler when
          necessary.

        • cartierusm2004
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
            I'm putting in the sight glasses in my new one because I know for a
            fact that little green men are in there making my alcohol and I just
            want to be sure they are safe.

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
            > <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Ciao Tyler.
            > >
            > > How, otherwise, check how, when, how much reflux?
            > >
            > > And, the last but not the least, human being is a little bit
            curious
            > > and it's so fascinating to watch what's hannening inside ....
            > >
            > > Ciao a tutti
            > > da
            > >
            > > micio felice
            >

            > It's more than that. Portholes allow for visual inspection of the
            > bubble trays to see how much fouling has accumulated. Calcium
            > deposits just a few millimetres thick on the edge of the sieve
            holes
            > can reduce the performance of the tower by 30%. Some of the
            larger
            > towers/columns have the portholes removable as manways for
            maintenance
            > work. The smaller columns usually run a chemical de-scaler when
            > necessary.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • Jan Wouter
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
              2006/9/5, cartierusm2004 <htcustom@...>:

              > I'm putting in the sight glasses in my new one because I know for a
              > fact that little green men are in there making my alcohol and I just
              > want to be sure they are safe.

              You've been sampling to much ;-)
              Jan Wouter

            • John Wisbey
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                Hmm, thats funny I get little pink elephants
                John Wisbey

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2006
                  little pink elephants? I was told they were elves. But in all
                  seriousness, thanks for the info on the windows. My still uses
                  scrubbers for packing, not bubble plates, so i'm going to assume that
                  i don't need windows.

                  -Tyler

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hmm, thats funny I get little pink elephants
                  > John Wisbey

                • Jan Wouter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                    2006/9/6, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...>:

                    > little pink elephants? I was told they were elves. But in all
                    > seriousness, thanks for the info on the windows. My still uses
                    > scrubbers for packing, not bubble plates, so i'm going to assume that
                    > i don't need windows.
                    >
                    > -Tyler

                    Linux maybe?

                    Jan Wouter

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
                      <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:
                      > > -Tyler
                      >

                      > Linux maybe?
                      >
                      > Jan Wouter

                      Heh, very droll, Jan. :-))
                      Linux, Windows, FreeBSD whatever, ain't worth squat if'n it cain't
                      make booze. ;-)

                    • Jan Wouter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006

                        > Heh, very droll, Jan. :-))
                        > Linux, Windows, FreeBSD whatever, ain't worth squat if'n it cain't
                        > make booze. ;-)
                        >
                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        Thanks to my computer I learned to make booze. And it is the same computer
                        that connects us all over the world to exchanges experiences. So I think
                        that in some way it does produce booze.
                        Jan Wouter

                      • Toni Smith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Or maybe with some of the problems they seem to have at times they drive us
                          to booze:P

                          Toni Smith

                          MSN Messenger HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:tonimarie29@..."tonimarie29@...

                          Yahoo Messenger HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:tonimarie29au@..."tonimarie29au@...

                          ~*~*~Love is a hearts willingness to overcome any obstacle at any
                          price...Only those who truly love can accomplish this...it is one of the
                          only things worth fighting for~*~*~