Re: [new_distillers] question about drinking 95%

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
      Not if a near-death experience is on your list of "must-do".

      If you are married and have any history of heart problems, ensure your life insurance is up to date and send me your wife's phone number just before you try it.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
      Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of 95%.....

    • Paul McMillan
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
        It's not that much worse than a shot of 151. Yes, it does tend to numb
        the mouth a bit, and it probably does kill some surface cells, but
        your mouth is always exfoliating anyway, and it's one of the quickest
        healing organs in your body. It certainly doesn't cause damage that
        makes eating or drinking uncomfortable in the morning.

        As the others hinted, however, it does tend to be a less-than-pleasant
        experience.

        Paul

        On 9/3/06, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:
        > Not if a near-death experience is on your list of "must-do".
        >
        > If you are married and have any history of heart problems, ensure your life insurance is up to date and send me your wife's phone number just before you try it.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Bwyze
        >
        > Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
        > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of 95%.....

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jan Wouter
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
          Don't forget that the shot doesn't stay in your mouth. Your stomach may not
          like it either. Frequently drinking high percentage alcohol enlarges the
          chances of stomach ulcer, or even cancer.
          Jan Wouter

          2006/9/4, Paul McMillan <Paul@...>:

          > It's not that much worse than a shot of 151. Yes, it does tend to numb
          > the mouth a bit, and it probably does kill some surface cells, but
          > your mouth is always exfoliating anyway, and it's one of the quickest
          > healing organs in your body. It certainly doesn't cause damage that
          > makes eating or drinking uncomfortable in the morning.
          >
          > As the others hinted, however, it does tend to be a less-than-pleasant
          > experience.
          >
          > Paul

        • Larry
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
            At 01:23 AM 09/04/2006, you wrote:

            >Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watered down of 95%.....

            No. It's a self-limiting thing... you can't drink enough of it at once to
            hurt you.

            Alcohol has a strong affinity for water.

            After you toss back the first shot, and feel it suck all the moisture out
            of the inside of your throat, mouth and sinuses, you're unlikely to try a
            second shot... unless you have mental problems. Doing it repeatedly,
            long-term, would probably create problems with your gums.

            Conversely, you can start with something more drinkable, like a 750ml of
            Wild Turkey 101 proof, drink it all in the course of five to ten minutes,
            and probably die of alcohol poisioning, IF you can keep from throwing it
            back up for long enough... College binge-drinking/hazing parties have
            produced a few deaths from people chugging Coke-bottles filled with
            straight vodka.

            Sometimes I don't bother to dilute my output, but when I do that, I mix it
            with a soft-drink, and I get out the measuring-spoons instead of the
            shot-glass.

            I use two tablespoons of it instead wherever I would have mixed in a jigger
            full of commercial vodka.
          • Tony Turner
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
              I know in beer brewing that some people save their yeast. Have any of you ever saved your whiskey yeast? How would you go about saving it?

              I was wondering if I could "cultivate" the yeast by taking a cup of active fermenting mash, placing it in a jar and then feeding it like you would sourdough starter. Once I have a nice bubbling starter, split it between several sanitized jars, add a little fresh mash and then placing them in the refrigerator until needed. The cold should slow the action of the yeast and the fresh wort give them something to eat so they can stay alive ---- it's just a thought.

              I know distilleries have their own yeast that they have saved for years. I read about one that uses yeast that they have saved since the 1800's.

              I know its possible because while I was touring the Makers Mark distillery they talked about the yeast they "cultivate" for use. The people at the Jim Beam distillery they said the yeast they use was "saved" during Prohibition and when Prohibition was repealed they started using it again.

              I'm not just trying to be cheap, I just think it would be fun to be self-sustaining and you never know when that may come in handy.

              I'd love to know your thoughts.

              Thanks,
              Tony T

            • r_g_wilson2
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                Hi Tony,

                I have done it often with brewing yeasts. Get yourself a copy
                of "Yeast Culturing for the Homebrewer", by Rog Leistad. It is very
                small (40 pages) and not expensive - around $4. And it works, so I
                don't see why it would not work as well for a whiskey yeast. Here
                is one reference on the net:

                http://www.homebrew.com/shopping/static/BO-015.shtml

                -rgw

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Turner
                <tonkyman1979@...> wrote:

                > I know in beer brewing that some people save their yeast. Have any
                of you ever saved your whiskey yeast? How would you go about saving
                it?

                > I was wondering if I could "cultivate" the yeast by taking a cup
                of active fermenting mash, placing it in a jar and then feeding it
                like you would sourdough starter. Once I have a nice bubbling
                starter, split it between several sanitized jars, add a little fresh
                mash and then placing them in the refrigerator until needed. The
                cold should slow the action of the yeast and the fresh wort give
                them something to eat so they can stay alive ---- it's just a
                thought.

                > I know distilleries have their own yeast that they have saved for
                years. I read about one that uses yeast that they have saved since
                the 1800's.

                > I know its possible because while I was touring the Makers Mark
                distillery they talked about the yeast they "cultivate" for use. The
                people at the Jim Beam distillery they said the yeast they use
                was "saved" during Prohibition and when Prohibition was repealed
                they started using it again.

                > I'm not just trying to be cheap, I just think it would be fun to
                be self-sustaining and you never know when that may come in handy.

                > I'd love to know your thoughts.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Tony T
                >

                > ************************
                > Tony Turner
                > tonkyman1979@...

              • Tony Turner
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Hi RGW,
                  That looks like what I was looking for. I went to the site and tried to buy the book but the shipping was more than the book. They wanted 4.65 for the book but 9.95 to ship it so I guess I'll just keep looking.

                  They do have a little text on culturing on their site so I'll check that out.

                  Thanks for your help,
                  Tony T

                  r_g_wilson2 <rolson2@...> wrote: Hi Tony,

                  I have done it often with brewing yeasts. Get yourself a copy
                  of "Yeast Culturing for the Homebrewer", by Rog Leistad. It is very
                  small (40 pages) and not expensive - around $4. And it works, so I
                  don't see why it would not work as well for a whiskey yeast. Here
                  is one reference on the net:

                  http://www.homebrew.com/shopping/static/BO-015.shtml

                  -rgw

                • tyler_97355
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                    As a bartender, i have sold many shots of 151 rum. If you are smart,
                    you have a chaser, unless you like the feeling of your mouth and
                    throat burning. They also sell "Everclear" here in the states, which
                    is 190 proof. Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that. It
                    isn't too dangerous to drink it, its just uncoumfortable.

                    -Tyler

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
                    <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                    > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                    95%.....

                  • Paul McMillan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                      "Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that"

                      Correction: It is DANGEROUS for breathing fire and stuff like that.
                      Yes, it is flammable, but it is far more dangerous than using the
                      proper materials (i.e. far more likely to set your face/lungs on
                      fire). It also tends to produce a sub-optimal color and brightness of
                      flame. The correct fluid to use for breathing fire is kerosene, which
                      produces satisfyingly large orange fire, instead of the somewhat
                      pathetic light blue flames you get from alcohol. Kerosene does not
                      burn when pooled (or when you get it all over your face), and so you
                      are far less likely to set yourself on fire, and you can't set your
                      lungs on fire if you accidentally inhale or don't squeeze off the
                      stream before you run out of air. Also, you can't get drunk from
                      drinking it, which is a serious safety problem when using alcohol.

                      Sorry for the rant, but I know a guy who sent himself to the hospital
                      for extensive plastic surgery because he was trying to impress some
                      girl. Don't mix drinking and fire play, but by all means, play with
                      fire while sober.

                      Paul

                      On 9/4/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                      > As a bartender, i have sold many shots of 151 rum. If you are smart,
                      > you have a chaser, unless you like the feeling of your mouth and
                      > throat burning. They also sell "Everclear" here in the states, which
                      > is 190 proof. Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that. It
                      > isn't too dangerous to drink it, its just uncoumfortable.
                      >
                      > -Tyler
                      >

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
                      > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                      > 95%.....

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Toni Smith
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                        Ok from a fire twirler on this. Kerosene CAN flash back into your lungs if
                        you aren�t careful and I know a few who use av gas which is highly
                        dangerous. It is still better than trying to use alcohol for fire breathing
                        though.

                        Toni Smith

                        MSN Messenger HYPERLINK
                        "mailto:tonimarie29@..."tonimarie29@...

                        Yahoo Messenger HYPERLINK
                        "mailto:tonimarie29au@..."tonimarie29au@...

                        ~*~*~Love is a hearts willingness to overcome any obstacle at any
                        price...Only those who truly love can accomplish this...it is one of the
                        only things worth fighting for~*~*~

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                          Well, that information has taken the tone of this group up a notch. All I was interested in was making better booze.

                          Bwyze

                          Paul McMillan <Paul@...> wrote:
                          "Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that"

                          Correction: It is DANGEROUS for breathing fire and stuff like that.
                          Yes, it is flammable, but it is far more dangerous than using the
                          proper materials (i.e. far more likely to set your face/lungs on
                          fire). It also tends to produce a sub-optimal color and brightness of
                          flame. The correct fluid to use for breathing fire is kerosene, which
                          produces satisfyingly large orange fire, instead of the somewhat
                          pathetic light blue flames you get from alcohol. Kerosene does not
                          burn when pooled (or when you get it all over your face), and so you
                          are far less likely to set yourself on fire, and you can't set your
                          lungs on fire if you accidentally inhale or don't squeeze off the
                          stream before you run out of air. Also, you can't get drunk from
                          drinking it, which is a serious safety problem when using alcohol.

                          Sorry for the rant, but I know a guy who sent himself to the hospital
                          for extensive plastic surgery because he was trying to impress some
                          girl. Don't mix drinking and fire play, but by all means, play with
                          fire while sober.

                          Paul

                          On 9/4/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                          > As a bartender, i have sold many shots of 151 rum. If you are smart,
                          > you have a chaser, unless you like the feeling of your mouth and
                          > throat burning. They also sell "Everclear" here in the states, which
                          > is 190 proof. Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that. It
                          > isn't too dangerous to drink it, its just uncoumfortable.
                          >
                          > -Tyler
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
                          > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                          > 95%.....

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jeremy McCoy
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Saftey first!!!

                            Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote: Well, that information has taken the tone of this group up a notch. All I was interested in was making better booze.

                            Bwyze

                            Paul McMillan <Paul@...> wrote:
                            "Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that"

                            Correction: It is DANGEROUS for breathing fire and stuff like that.
                            Yes, it is flammable, but it is far more dangerous than using the
                            proper materials (i.e. far more likely to set your face/lungs on
                            fire). It also tends to produce a sub-optimal color and brightness of
                            flame. The correct fluid to use for breathing fire is kerosene, which
                            produces satisfyingly large orange fire, instead of the somewhat
                            pathetic light blue flames you get from alcohol. Kerosene does not
                            burn when pooled (or when you get it all over your face), and so you
                            are far less likely to set yourself on fire, and you can't set your
                            lungs on fire if you accidentally inhale or don't squeeze off the
                            stream before you run out of air. Also, you can't get drunk from
                            drinking it, which is a serious safety problem when using alcohol.

                            Sorry for the rant, but I know a guy who sent himself to the hospital
                            for extensive plastic surgery because he was trying to impress some
                            girl. Don't mix drinking and fire play, but by all means, play with
                            fire while sober.

                            Paul

                            On 9/4/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                            > As a bartender, i have sold many shots of 151 rum. If you are smart,
                            > you have a chaser, unless you like the feeling of your mouth and
                            > throat burning. They also sell "Everclear" here in the states, which
                            > is 190 proof. Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that. It
                            > isn't too dangerous to drink it, its just uncoumfortable.
                            >
                            > -Tyler
                            >

                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
                            > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                            > 95%.....

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • tyler_97355
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                              All of the bartender that i know who breath fire (4), use either 151
                              or 190 proof alcohol. I have done it many times and not had a
                              problem with it, but then again, i had some training. I have heard
                              of using kerosene or lamp oil, but have been cautioned away from it
                              because of the other harmful chemicals in it. Then again, i'm just a
                              bartender, not a circus attraction, I'm not really an expert on the
                              subject. I would welcome any info on the subject though.

                              -Tyler

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul McMillan" <Paul@...>
                              wrote:

                              > "Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that"
                              >
                              > Correction: It is DANGEROUS for breathing fire and stuff like that.
                              > Yes, it is flammable, but it is far more dangerous than using the
                              > proper materials (i.e. far more likely to set your face/lungs on
                              > fire). It also tends to produce a sub-optimal color and brightness
                              of
                              > flame. The correct fluid to use for breathing fire is kerosene,
                              which
                              > produces satisfyingly large orange fire, instead of the somewhat
                              > pathetic light blue flames you get from alcohol. Kerosene does not
                              > burn when pooled (or when you get it all over your face), and so
                              you
                              > are far less likely to set yourself on fire, and you can't set your
                              > lungs on fire if you accidentally inhale or don't squeeze off the
                              > stream before you run out of air. Also, you can't get drunk from
                              > drinking it, which is a serious safety problem when using alcohol.
                              >
                              > Sorry for the rant, but I know a guy who sent himself to the
                              hospital
                              > for extensive plastic surgery because he was trying to impress some
                              > girl. Don't mix drinking and fire play, but by all means, play with
                              > fire while sober.
                              >
                              > Paul
                              >

                              > On 9/4/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                              > > As a bartender, i have sold many shots of 151 rum. If you are
                              smart,
                              > > you have a chaser, unless you like the feeling of your mouth and
                              > > throat burning. They also sell "Everclear" here in the states,
                              which
                              > > is 190 proof. Its good for breathing fire and stuff like that. It
                              > > isn't too dangerous to drink it, its just uncoumfortable.
                              > >
                              > > -Tyler
                              > >

                              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
                              > > <realmccoy333@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                              > > 95%.....

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Jan Wouter
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                I've seen people breathing fire with lamp oil. However, when you read the
                                precautions on the bottle, I wouldn't recommend it.
                                Om the other hand, I've once had a bottle of spiritus (90% alcohol)
                                exploding in my hand when trying to light a barbeque (My young days).
                                Luckily the blast put out the fire.
                                I don't know what preofessional fire breathers use, but I doubt that they
                                use alcohol, considering the smell when they do it.
                                Jan Wouter

                                2006/9/5, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...>:

                                > All of the bartender that i know who breath fire (4), use either 151
                                > or 190 proof alcohol. I have done it many times and not had a
                                > problem with it, but then again, i had some training. I have heard
                                > of using kerosene or lamp oil, but have been cautioned away from it
                                > because of the other harmful chemicals in it. Then again, i'm just a
                                > bartender, not a circus attraction, I'm not really an expert on the
                                > subject. I would welcome any info on the subject though.
                                >
                                > -Tyler

                              • coopthewaste
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                  95% makes a great solvent that evaporates quickly. It removes
                                  permanent marker from most plastics as well as glue left over from
                                  labels, construction adhesive from porclein, and is a great cleaner
                                  for your keyboard. Just pour it on, shake out the garbage, and let it
                                  evaporate. No more sticky keys. It also works well for removing
                                  water from a the fuel tank/lines of your vehicle. I would cut it to
                                  your desired strength, flavor and age it so that you can enjoy your
                                  effort.

                                  <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                                  > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been watterd down of
                                  95%.....

                                • Link D'Antoni
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                    Never thought about it but my foreshot might clean
                                    the gunk off my elderberry primary fermenter. Nothing
                                    else does. And I was using the foreshot as my grill
                                    'fire starter'.

                                    Thanks for the idea,

                                    Link

                                    --- coopthewaste <coopthewaste@...> wrote:

                                    > 95% makes a great solvent that evaporates quickly.
                                    > It removes
                                    > permanent marker from most plastics as well as glue
                                    > left over from
                                    > labels, construction adhesive from porclein, and is
                                    > a great cleaner
                                    > for your keyboard. Just pour it on, shake out the
                                    > garbage, and let it
                                    > evaporate. No more sticky keys. It also works well
                                    > for removing
                                    > water from a the fuel tank/lines of your vehicle. I
                                    > would cut it to
                                    > your desired strength, flavor and age it so that you
                                    > can enjoy your
                                    > effort.
                                    >
                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
                                    > McCoy"
                                    > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Is it dangerous to have a shot that hasnt been
                                    > watterd down of
                                    > 95%.....

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • gff_stwrt
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

                                      > Never thought about it but my foreshot might clean
                                      > the gunk off my elderberry primary fermenter. Nothing
                                      > else does. And I was using the foreshot as my grill
                                      > 'fire starter'.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for the idea,
                                      >
                                      > Link
                                      >

                                      > --- coopthewaste <coopthewaste@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > 95% makes a great solvent that evaporates quickly.
                                      chop...

                                      Hi, folks.
                                      I wonder about the safety of using anything containing methanol in
                                      this way. Peggy pointed out (I think on the alcoholfuel group) that
                                      methanol is not only a poison, but a cumulative one. She didn't
                                      elaborate, but I wonder if it can be absorbed through the skin and by
                                      breathing the vapour? Does anyone know more than I do about this?

                                      The Baker
                                    • michael_fearn
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                        Hay there, i am totally new here but i have been doing a crap pile of
                                        research on the whole subject. I found a good write up here:

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Never thought about it but my foreshot might clean
                                        > > the gunk off my elderberry primary fermenter. Nothing
                                        > > else does. And I was using the foreshot as my grill
                                        > > 'fire starter'.
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks for the idea,
                                        > >
                                        > > Link
                                        > >

                                        > > --- coopthewaste <coopthewaste@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > 95% makes a great solvent that evaporates quickly.
                                        > chop...
                                        >
                                        > Hi, folks.
                                        > I wonder about the safety of using anything containing methanol in
                                        > this way. Peggy pointed out (I think on the alcoholfuel group) that
                                        > methanol is not only a poison, but a cumulative one. She didn't
                                        > elaborate, but I wonder if it can be absorbed through the skin and by
                                        > breathing the vapour? Does anyone know more than I do about this?
                                        >
                                        > The Baker

                                      • stevolate
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                          Hi Michael
                                          I think they were talking about ethanol not methanol in the
                                          original posts.

                                          Happy drinking

                                          Stevo

                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                                            Opps sorry. I didn't mean to jump in the middle like that. I thought I
                                            had read somewhere in the thread a question about the toxic properties
                                            of methanol and the safety of using it as a cleaner in distillation
                                            equipment. My bad.

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Michael
                                            > I think they were talking about ethanol not methanol in the
                                            > original posts.
                                            >
                                            > Happy drinking
                                            >
                                            > Stevo
                                            >
                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"
                                            > <michael_fearn@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hay there, i am totally new here but i have been doing a crap pile of
                                            > > research on the whole subject. I found a good write up here:
                                            > >
                                            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

                                          • Robert Thomas
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                              Just to clarify,
                                              methanol is not a cumulative poison, because it is broken down by the
                                              liver. The reason it is poisonous is because it is broken down by the
                                              liver! (into formaldehyde and formic acid).
                                              To be cumulative, a poison must not be metabolised or excreted (eg lead
                                              and mercury, which accumulate in fatty tissue).
                                              cheers
                                              rob.
                                              p.s. you'd have to wash in meths to be poisoned by skin absorption:
                                              your skin would suffer long before that (contact dermatitis, chapping,
                                              etc)

                                              --- michael_fearn <michael_fearn@...> wrote:

                                              > Opps sorry. I didn't mean to jump in the middle like that. I thought
                                              > had read somewhere in the thread a question about the toxic
                                              > properties
                                              > of methanol and the safety of using it as a cleaner in distillation
                                              > equipment. My bad.
                                              >

                                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi Michael
                                              > > I think they were talking about ethanol not methanol in
                                              > the
                                              > > original posts.
                                              > >
                                              > > Happy drinking
                                              > >
                                              > > Stevo
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"
                                              > > <michael_fearn@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Hay there, i am totally new here but i have been doing a crap
                                              > pile of
                                              > > > research on the whole subject. I found a good write up here:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

                                              Cheers,
                                              Rob.

                                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            • Link D'Antoni
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                Michael,
                                                Welcome... and you/we ALL drop IN in the middle at
                                                some point.
                                                The original topic was about someone drinking 95%
                                                (190 proof). We change the original context at least
                                                three times. The lastest being other uses for 95% ABV.

                                                We talk about serious stuff... But we are not to take
                                                ourselves seriously.

                                                Thanks for the comments.

                                                Link

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                  Hi, folks.
                                                  Thanks, Michael for the reference. I have copied a quote from it which
                                                  I think answers my question;

                                                  "Dangerous doses will build up if a person is regularly exposed to
                                                  vapors or handles liquid without skin protection."

                                                  The Baker

                                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_fearn"
                                                  <michael_fearn@...> wrote:
                                                  snip...
                                                  I found a good write up here:

                                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

                                                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Never thought about it but my foreshot might clean
                                                  > > > the gunk off my elderberry primary fermenter. Nothing
                                                  > > > else does. And I was using the foreshot as my grill
                                                  > > > 'fire starter'.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Thanks for the idea,
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Link

                                                  > > chop...

                                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:

                                                  > > Hi, folks.
                                                  > > I wonder about the safety of using anything containing methanol in
                                                  > > this way. Peggy pointed out (I think on the alcoholfuel group) that
                                                  > > methanol is not only a poison, but a cumulative one. She didn't
                                                  > > elaborate, but I wonder if it can be absorbed through the skin and by
                                                  > > breathing the vapour? Does anyone know more than I do about this?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > The Baker

                                                • gff_stwrt
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006

                                                    <michael_fearn@...> wrote:
                                                    snip...
                                                    I found a good write up here:

                                                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

                                                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Never thought about it but my foreshot might clean
                                                    > > > the gunk off my elderberry primary fermenter. Nothing
                                                    > > > else does. And I was using the foreshot as my grill
                                                    > > > 'fire starter'.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Thanks for the idea,
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Link

                                                    > > chop...

                                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:

                                                    > > Hi, folks.
                                                    > > I wonder about the safety of using anything containing methanol in
                                                    > > this way. Peggy pointed out (I think on the alcoholfuel group) that
                                                    > > methanol is not only a poison, but a cumulative one. She didn't
                                                    > > elaborate, but I wonder if it can be absorbed through the skin and by
                                                    > > breathing the vapour? Does anyone know more than I do about this?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > The Baker

                                                  • gff_stwrt
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                      Hello, folks; hi Steve, hi Michael

                                                      It was my understanding that what was being discussed was the part of
                                                      the distillate that had been rejected BECAUSE OF THE METHANOL IT
                                                      CONTAINS ( and maybe other stuff).

                                                      The Baker

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                        Hi Baker