Re: first run

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dai malson <daihappy69@...>
      wrote:

      > New to distilling,got lots to learn,so here's some questions to
      start with.
      > Done my first sugar wash run yesterday with strange results can
      anyone explain these to me.
      > My still is a 50lt boiler heated using 2000 w element, a 1200mm
      x 50mm column ,a Nixon stone offset head with 6mm pipe 4m long made
      into a condenser. Supplied by 300lt tank and a 14lt per min pump.
      > I heated up the wash until the thermometer read 72.9 C and would
      not go any higher,I took alcohol off at 95% but was this the right
      type of alcohol ?(Not wood alcohol }.Don't think thermometer was
      wrong but is this ok? also if the alcohol is 95% pure does it need
      to be carbon filtered

      > Cheers
      >
      > Dai

      Either the thermometer is out of whack, or you're a long ways above
      sea level. Azeotrope beverage alcohol (95.6% abv) boils at 78.3C at
      sea level. The BP drops by about 1 degreeC for each 1000 feet up
      you are.

      Carbon? Well it doesn't 'need' to be filtered if you have done a
      clean run, but there are those who claim some improvement in the
      product. Personally I don't carbon, but then I don't do vodkas
      either. I do whiskies & rums, and I like a bit of flavour in my
      spirits. Carbon would (for me) just weaken those flavours (aka
      congeners).

    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 3, 2006
        Dai,

        In addition to what Harry stated make sure that the
        thermometer placement is correct. I do not run the
        Nixon-Stone so I might be corrected on this one. You
        want the thermometer to read at the point that the
        vapors will pull off from your column.
        And are you temp correcting the Proof hydrometer
        reading? The reason for the question is that if you
        indeed 'need' to filter 95% then the proof might be
        incorrect.

        Link

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 3, 2006
          At 95.6% you get all the same congeners as you do with lower ABV. The
          point is that they are typically more concentrated at the beginning and
          at the end if you operate your still properly. You'll still have to do
          proper cuts, preferably equilibrate the column and maintain adequate RR
          to achieve completely neutral spirits. It is possible for us hobbyists
          to build a still that puts out only pure 95.6% stuff, but it's quite a
          leap from the original Nixon-Stone design.

          Cheers, Riku