is food grade clear tubing safe?

  • bayproducer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
      i was wondering if flexible clear food grade tubing (from clark
      rubber) is ok to use for high end spirits? eg for the offtake or for
      transfering from containers

      does it impart any flavors into the spirit?

      is there a better tubing that is readily available and easy to work
      with?

      regards
      Bay producer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bayproducer" <bayproducer@...>
        wrote:

        > i was wondering if flexible clear food grade tubing (from clark
        > rubber) is ok to use for high end spirits? eg for the offtake or for
        > transfering from containers
        >
        > does it impart any flavors into the spirit?
        >
        > is there a better tubing that is readily available and easy to work
        > with?
        >
        > regards
        > Bay producer

        Test a small section in a glass of high abv spirit. After several
        hours, if the tubing and/or the alcohol goes cloudy, it's no good.
        Just because it says 'food grade' doesn't mean it can withstand strong
        solvents such as alcohol. Use fuel grade clear tubing, available at
        Supercheap Auto, about $13 AUD for 2 metres. It's neutral to solvents
        (hence the price).

      • Paul McMillan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
          I had bad luck with some cheap ($5 for 25ft) "food grade" "solvent
          resistant" rubber tubing from the hardware store. Made my product
          taste like plastic. Was all set to blame my wash and my still till I
          noticed that...