Re: [new_distillers] Re: Dangers of a Still

  • tim smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Jeremy
      It is a good idea to have a small vent hole at the
      top of your column... I have one,.. about .125 in
      diameter..and my column is a PDA-1 from the Amphora
      society...cheers Tim
      --- Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

      > why is it not a good idea to drill a hole in the top
      > of the reflux head at the condensor
      >
      > Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:
      > Usually not a good idea.
      >
      > Bwyze
      >
      > Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
      > My offset head with the condensor will be capped
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
      > McCoy"
      > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I
      > have one
      > > question.... should i drill a hole in the top of
      > my reflux still
      > just
      > > in case the condensor cant condence the vapour
      > quick enough. too
      > keep
      > > up with what is made. What things do you use to
      > ensure the saftey
      > > that your still does not burst from the rising
      > vapour pressure.

      > removed]

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        There was more to my email. But let me explain.

        My still has a cap at the top of the "reflux" column. There is a hole and a rubber grommet in that cap where I insert the thermometer. However, the condensor top is open to the air. Why put a cap on the condensor top and then drill a hole in it? If you have a 3-inch condensor column, a cap that size will be expensive. Of course, I do not know what kind of still you have and can only comment on mine which is a valved reflux still which was built from plans drawn down from the internet

        My email intended to get the idea across that it is not a good idea to cap your condensor as pressure can build up and as you say - create a dangerous situation.

        There was a good idea in here following this thread where the poster said they use a rubber bung loosely inserted into the top of the condensor. This keeps the "steam" in but if pressure builds, it will pop the bung.

        Most people I have spoken to just place a stainless steel scrubber down the condensor coils to help keep the steam in which also leaves the condensor open enough so that any pressure may safely escape.

        Regards,

        Bwyze