Re: Question Methanol dangers using a fractionating Still

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Link and Jeremy.

      In my opinion isn't possible to fix the quantity of methanol without
      knowing the type of still you have.

      I mean: by using a pot still you'll have some quantity of methylic
      alcohol, by using a fractionnating refluxed column the quantity will
      be different.

      That quantity depends also from the alcoholic percentage of mash you
      are using.

      Let me say, also, that isn't true that methanol is completely
      eliminated with the "heads": it will accompany the distillation till
      the end (at decreasing rate, of course) because a physical law say
      it.

      In fact the boiling point of a mash depend from the alcohol
      percentage: gradually the alcohol evaporate and so the mash boiling
      point increase because the quantity of alcohol into the mash
      decrease.
      At a certain point the boiling temperature will reach the boling
      point of ethylic alcohol, so also it will start to boil; but this
      fact doesn't mean the end of methanol, no: it is still into the
      vapours (at low concentration, of course).

      If you have a fractionnating refluxed column you don't take any
      risks: the reflux will be able to separate very well the heads, but
      if you have a pot still things are a little bit different.

      In this case you can only count of the capability of your pot still
      to reflux down the ethylic alcohol in the beginning of the
      distillation: in this case the percentage you wrote (about 0.2%)
      is , in my opinion, a little bit optimistic.

      Anyway we have a godd judge that help us a lot: our nose and our
      tong.

      Till you fill a biting smell you don't have to collect: it's the
      ethyl acetate, that give the sensation of a lot of needles into your
      nose.
      This component follow the meth and is immediately before the ethylic
      alcohol, but is still belonging to heads so you don't have to
      collect.

      Hoping to have given some help.

      micio felice

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...>