Re: Milk=Booze?

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
      Lactase enzyme will split lactose into galactose and glucose. Fine for
      lactose intolerant people but not for distillers. The glucose is
      theoretically fermentable by
      Saccharomyces yeast but in the presence of galactose does not ferment
      very well.
      wal
      Kefir and Kumiss contain Kluyveromyces yeast which does ferment bothe
      sugars.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > I use it in my stouts sometimes. The enzyme in Lactaid is used to
      mash the Lactose to make it fermentable. Lactose does make a good
      stout quite tastey . So ! WHO is going to make the milk wine then the
      milk Brandy ??The recipes I have all have added sucrose or honey.
      HMMmm Triple Chocolate Stout milkshake.

      > Brad McMahon <bmcmahon@...> wrote: donald holcombe wrote:
      > >
      > > Ever heard of Lactose.?IE- Milk Sugar.
      > >

      > Lactose is not fermentable directly by yeast. That's why it is added to
      > stouts for body and mouthfeel.

    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        The reason why people try to ferment all kinds of wierd things, is
        usually because its free. If i had a free supply of fermentables, i
        would be making gallons and gallons of alcohol, mainly for e85. At
        this point, i have to buy everything i use, so it is still a hobby
        with a price. If i could get a truckload of free corn or sugar, i
        would be doing backflips. So to answer your question of "why milk",
        because its free.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lebsanft"
        <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:

        > my only confusion is that sugar is so cheap why would you go to
        the trouble?

        > >From: "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
        > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] Milk=Booze?
        > >Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:19:35 -0000
        > >
        > >I have heard that you can use a special yeast that will ferment a
        > >byproduct of milk- whey- into booze! The local store throws out
        piles
        > >of milk,cream,yogurt that is going bad, past due date. Etc etc.
        Could
        > >a individual use this to produce booze or would you first have to
        make
        > >cheese in order to get the whey?
        > >Cheers

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          Why would you climb a mountain or go to the North Pole ? Because you CAN !