Re: Milk=Booze?

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2006
      Only Kluyveromyces marxianus will ferment lactose. Difficult to obtain
      in small amounts. Why do you want to make Mongolian
      vodka(arkhi).Dextrose will give a superior product.
      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
      <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

      > Even if you could.... ( i have never heard that ) there is no sugar
      > in the milk products.... IE no alchol being produced....also...any
      > alchol made from that mash would taste awful
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I have heard that you can use a special yeast that will ferment a
      > > byproduct of milk- whey- into booze! The local store throws out piles
      > > of milk,cream,yogurt that is going bad, past due date. Etc etc. Could
      > > a individual use this to produce booze or would you first have to
      > make
      > > cheese in order to get the whey?
      > > Cheers

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
        Lactase enzyme will split lactose into galactose and glucose. Fine for
        lactose intolerant people but not for distillers. The glucose is
        theoretically fermentable by
        Saccharomyces yeast but in the presence of galactose does not ferment
        very well.
        wal
        Kefir and Kumiss contain Kluyveromyces yeast which does ferment bothe
        sugars.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
        <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

        > I use it in my stouts sometimes. The enzyme in Lactaid is used to
        mash the Lactose to make it fermentable. Lactose does make a good
        stout quite tastey . So ! WHO is going to make the milk wine then the
        milk Brandy ??The recipes I have all have added sucrose or honey.
        HMMmm Triple Chocolate Stout milkshake.

        > Brad McMahon <bmcmahon@...> wrote: donald holcombe wrote:
        > >
        > > Ever heard of Lactose.?IE- Milk Sugar.
        > >

        > Lactose is not fermentable directly by yeast. That's why it is added to
        > stouts for body and mouthfeel.

      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
          The reason why people try to ferment all kinds of wierd things, is
          usually because its free. If i had a free supply of fermentables, i
          would be making gallons and gallons of alcohol, mainly for e85. At
          this point, i have to buy everything i use, so it is still a hobby
          with a price. If i could get a truckload of free corn or sugar, i
          would be doing backflips. So to answer your question of "why milk",
          because its free.

          -Tyler

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lebsanft"
          <bundy_rum98@...> wrote:

          > my only confusion is that sugar is so cheap why would you go to
          the trouble?

          > >From: "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
          > >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [new_distillers] Milk=Booze?
          > >Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:19:35 -0000
          > >
          > >I have heard that you can use a special yeast that will ferment a
          > >byproduct of milk- whey- into booze! The local store throws out
          piles
          > >of milk,cream,yogurt that is going bad, past due date. Etc etc.
          Could
          > >a individual use this to produce booze or would you first have to
          make
          > >cheese in order to get the whey?
          > >Cheers

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2006
            Why would you climb a mountain or go to the North Pole ? Because you CAN !