Dangers of a Still

  • Jeremy McCoy
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
      I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I have one
      question.... should i drill a hole in the top of my reflux still just
      in case the condensor cant condence the vapour quick enough. too keep
      up with what is made. What things do you use to ensure the saftey
      that your still does not burst from the rising vapour pressure.
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
        Unless you have capped your condensor column, you already have a built-in safety valve as the condensor should be open to the air.

        If too much "steam" is coming out of the condensor head, firstly reduce your heat to the boiler and then check the water temperature going to the condensor coil. Should be cool enough to convert the "steam" to liquid.

        Some of us put a stainless steel scrubber down the condensor coil to trap extra steam and help it get turned into liquid. This is not a threat to releasing pressure as heat and steam can still get past it.

        Regards,

        Bwyze

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
          My offset head with the condensor will be capped

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
          <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

          > I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I have one
          > question.... should i drill a hole in the top of my reflux still
          just
          > in case the condensor cant condence the vapour quick enough. too
          keep
          > up with what is made. What things do you use to ensure the saftey
          > that your still does not burst from the rising vapour pressure.

        • Larry
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
            At 04:57 PM 08/31/2006, you wrote:

            >I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I have one
            >question.... should i drill a hole in the top of my reflux still just
            >in case the condensor cant condence the vapour quick enough. too keep
            >up with what is made. What things do you use to ensure the saftey
            >that your still does not burst from the rising vapour pressure.

            If the condensor can't condense fast enough, it will simply shoot steam out
            through the collection-tube.

            The top of MY column is just an open pipe. It's closed with a rubber bung.

            The bung has a small hole in it to stick a thermometer in. If the top of
            the column ever builds up more than a few ounces of pressure, it'll pop the
            bung.

            It's going to be shooting steam out the end of the condenser long before
            that, though, unless I have the condenser outlet capped or something.

            If your column is capped, for some reason, what you need to do is UN-cap
            it. You can get bungs, with or without holes at www.brewhaus.com for a
            couple of bucks.
            http://www.brewhaus.com/Bung_Pure_Tan_Gum_Rubber_p/80000160.htm
          • Andrew Bugal
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
              Usually not a good idea.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
                why is it not a good idea to drill a hole in the top of the reflux head at the condensor

                Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote: Usually not a good idea.

                <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                > I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I have one
                > question.... should i drill a hole in the top of my reflux still
                just
                > in case the condensor cant condence the vapour quick enough. too
                keep
                > up with what is made. What things do you use to ensure the saftey
                > that your still does not burst from the rising vapour pressure.

              • tim smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Hi Jeremy
                  It is a good idea to have a small vent hole at the
                  top of your column... I have one,.. about .125 in
                  diameter..and my column is a PDA-1 from the Amphora
                  society...cheers Tim
                  --- Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                  > why is it not a good idea to drill a hole in the top
                  > of the reflux head at the condensor
                  >
                  > Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:
                  > Usually not a good idea.
                  >
                  > Bwyze
                  >
                  > Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                  > My offset head with the condensor will be capped
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
                  > McCoy"
                  > <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I relize all of the dangers of a still. However I
                  > have one
                  > > question.... should i drill a hole in the top of
                  > my reflux still
                  > just
                  > > in case the condensor cant condence the vapour
                  > quick enough. too
                  > keep
                  > > up with what is made. What things do you use to
                  > ensure the saftey
                  > > that your still does not burst from the rising
                  > vapour pressure.

                  > removed]

                  > removed]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Andrew Bugal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
                    There was more to my email. But let me explain.

                    My still has a cap at the top of the "reflux" column. There is a hole and a rubber grommet in that cap where I insert the thermometer. However, the condensor top is open to the air. Why put a cap on the condensor top and then drill a hole in it? If you have a 3-inch condensor column, a cap that size will be expensive. Of course, I do not know what kind of still you have and can only comment on mine which is a valved reflux still which was built from plans drawn down from the internet

                    My email intended to get the idea across that it is not a good idea to cap your condensor as pressure can build up and as you say - create a dangerous situation.

                    There was a good idea in here following this thread where the poster said they use a rubber bung loosely inserted into the top of the condensor. This keeps the "steam" in but if pressure builds, it will pop the bung.

                    Most people I have spoken to just place a stainless steel scrubber down the condensor coils to help keep the steam in which also leaves the condensor open enough so that any pressure may safely escape.